“One of the Best”

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Redlands, CA
“One of the Best”
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Whenever possible I stay at an HIE and this one of the best. I really liked the updated decor of my room. The exterior is pretty and in keeping with the location. My friend commented when we drove up that she didn't recognize it as an HIE. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location could not be more convenient. The only flaw is that you have to go up a few steps (with luggage) to get to the elevator from your room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
I'm so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor! I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Huntington Beach
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Warmly greeted by the host and check in was a breeze. Room was clean and good sized. Our room had partial bay view. Bed was quite comfortable, not too soft or firm. Room has small refrigerator, coffee maker, sofa, desk and Wi-Fi. Breakfast was good and a nice variety, but some items suffered from being kept warm. Hotel is located within walking distance to Aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff, your room, and our amenities worked so well for you. I'm happy that you were able to make use of our excellent location nearby Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I traveled here with my family last year and we had a great time! The location of this hotel is everything!!! Literally steps from Cannery Row. I am a runner, and the running path is right outside the front doors of the hotel. The hotel is walking distance to the Aquarium (about 10-15 min) and local shops and attractions.

The hotel serves a nice free breakfast which is a plus traveling with a family, is clean, and quiet. Would love to stay here again, but it is a little on the high end price wise.

p.s. there is a nice little café across the street of the hotel (I forgot the name) that served good food for a good price.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, 1 king and sleeper sofa, and we had a nice partial view of the ocean...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at our property. I'm glad that our location and proximity to local attractions worked so well for you! Thanks for the great review, and I hope that we have the opportunity to see you again soon!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed in a spacious room with a King sized bed and a sofa bed with partial sea view. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. There are ample parking lots at the basement. Short walk to Cannery Row or you could hop onto the tram which stops right outside the hotel.

Breakfast is at the lobby area with limited seating. Be prepared to share a table with fellow travelers or wait a little. Good variety including hot dishes, cereals, juices, pastries, pancake, hot chocolate, coffee and tea.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to share you comments on TripAdvisor. I hope that you had a chance to see some of our local (and very close by) attractions, such as Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Thanks again, and I hope that we get to see you again soon!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stopped off here for one night while doing a road trip down Route 1, the receptionist was so friendly and helpful, and very willing to assist with receipt of my luggage which my airline kindly lost for me - I can't full remember his name but I think it was Sanjay? In any case, a true gent and we appreciated his help, friendliness, and the tip off for local food places.
Room was bigger than we expected, cleanliness was good, nothing too glam but did exactly what we needed and we were glad to find somewhere that night so easily.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review! I'm glad that our front desk agent was able to assist you with your lost luggage, but I'm sorry you had to undergo such an ordeal during your vacation! I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your room and staff worked so well for you and your family. I hope that we have the chance to have you with us again in the future!
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Not your usual modern 'block' hotel but an old American style which fitted in beautifully with it's surroundings in Monterey. Big, clean rooms, comfy bed and bathroom with endless hot water and towels. Easy walking to the shops and restaurants on Cannery Row and the Orr attractions of the area.

The complimentary breakfast was one of the best we have enjoyed this holiday and the afternoon wine and cheese a welcome surprise at the end of a day exploring (walking)

Would certainly return and recommend to friends who are travelling.

2 Thank madorabaybums
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Wow, what a great review! Thank you for complimenting our architecture and taking the time to share your comments! I'm happy that you enjoyed our rooms, location, breakfast, and wine and cheese reception! I hope the rest of your trip was excellent, and that we see you again on your next trip to Monterey.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

First off I would like to say, the hotel staff or very friendly!My family and I stayed there for 2 nights and the first day we arrived we went straight to The Aquarium at about 11:00 am because hotel check in wasn't until 3:00 pm so after the 4 hour visit we arrived at our hotel to check in and the hotel employee explained to us that we could have checked in early and saved on a purchase of 2 day Aquarium tickets for the price of 1 and the hotel offers free parking so that would have saved us $15.00.What a steal...Oh well next time we know. I'm writing this review because I want people to know what I didn't and so you can get a good deal:) Also have to say that the hotel offers free breakfast. I thought it was just going to be cereal and fruit but it was the works, pancakes,eggs,bacon,oatmeal.toast,bagels,muffins,fruit,raisin bread,yogurt,juice,milk,coffee...It was pretty good for being free can't complain!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank jjvldc .
I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our breakfast and staff to your liking! I'm sorry that you weren't able to take advantage of our Monterey Bay Aquarium ticket deal, but thank you so much for sharing this information on TripAdvisor for the everyone else to read and be aware of! I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip, and that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon.