“Excellent vacation hotel”

Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Virginia
“Excellent vacation hotel”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Spent our anniversary vacation in Monterey and Carmel. Third floor balcony rooms overlooking the pool are beautiful, with a double sliding door to private shaded balcony. Staff is very customer focused and responsive, everyone from front desk to housekeeping greets you cordially with a smile. Breakfast is excellent - fresh fruit, made to order omlettes and french toast, great service - breakfast can be busy but the staff handles it well and it does not become chaotic. Pool is very nice, and fitness center is outstanding - much larger than most hotel gyms, with 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes and a complete weight room - everything in excellent working order, and each machine has its own tv screen. Parking can be cramped but we were always able to find a space. We were there during "car week" and our rented Hyundai Sonata looked pretty pathetic parked with Lamborghinis, Ferraris and a Bentley coupe in the garage. Short drive to downtown and Cannery Row, and college campus and park nearby are good walking spots.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My wife & I, with our 2 daughters (1 - 18y & 1-9y) stayed for 5 nights and found the hotel very good in all departments! The rooms where quite roomy and spotlessly clean, with an excellent daily maid service!
We had a 2 room suite, which was very well appointed and couldn't be faulted.
The location isn't the closest to where it "Happens" so if you have difficulty walking I'd check on the location more; I'd say it's a good mile walk to down town Monterey, though the walk is very pleasent.
If you don't mind the walk. I guess you could drive in, but that rather spoils the experience, I think, you will like this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
MontereyHiltonAdmn, Owner at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 21, 2009
Thank you for your positive and great remarks about our property. We are grateful to have you as our previous guest. Hilton Garden Inn Monterey Management and Staff look forward to your visit at our property in the future. Thank you again.
sia_patel
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Hilton Garden Inns have always impressed me which is why I say they are one of my favorite places to stay when on vacation practically anywhere.
I arrived in Monterrey while on a family vacation through California.
The location is nice even though I would have much rather stayed at the InterContinental which sits right on the water. However, I doubt the InterContinental served us cookies as we walked in. And not just any cookies- the softest, best, oh-my-god-this-hit-the-spot cookies ever! We went through half the plate. Oh wells.
I got a room with a veiw of pretty much nothing.
When we got in my younger brother had to use the restroom and we realized the bathroom lights didn't work. We called front desk and they, rather promptly, sent up a maintenance guy. He ran up and down a few times getting the necessary material needed to fix the problem and he was done in about 1/2 hour which was great and it was in perfect time for dinner.
After dinner we came back to our room and decided to rent a movie but our TV ordering guide wouldn't work. We called front desk and the same maintenance guy made his way back up to our room. The minute he got back the TV worked which was a relief. Now i'm sitting here writing this review. I haven't checked out yet but it seems like a pretty nice stay already. The bed I'm sitting on is very comfortable and I think I'll get some great sleep tonight.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
SoCal
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed based here based on reviews with TA. Got a 2 queen bed room and although the beds were comfy, the room was quite small. The microwave, coffee maker and refrig are all in one little nook. The computer desk was next to the tv stand and wardrobe unit and you have one seater next to the balcony. If not sitting on the beds our family of 4 were crowding the balcony. Its a nice hotel though with nice facilities. Wifi was great from the rooms and the free starbucks coffee was nice while it lasted. I should also note that it is absolutely a must to get a room facing the pool bc if not, you will be facing the adjacent freeway on one side and a campus parking lot on the other. Not much joy in that. Overall a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MannyH
Arkansas
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. I have always found the staff to be very welcoming and helpful. Our room, located on the third floor, was quite spacious and included a microwave and mini fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the bath towels were larger than what you would normally find at similar hotels. The third floor private balcony was especially nice and spacious, and overlooked the heated pool, cabanas, hot tub, and fire pit. The hotel was very quiet, with the exception of the neighbor who couldn't shut a door without slamming it. The fitness room features multiple cardio machines and free weights. The cooked to order breakfast (eggs, hashbrowns, omlets, french toast, etc.) was wonderful, and fresh fruits, juices, cereals and pastries are also offered. Parking is free whether you park in the covered lot or not. If you are looking to stay in the middle of the Cannery Row attractions, this is not the hotel for you. There isn't much, if anything, in walking distance of the hotel. However, everything you need is just a short drive away.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
roseville, ca
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My friends and I each booked a room for two nights - it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel is very clean which I was really happy about :) The rooms were clean - the bathrooms - the floor - a nice thing for sure! Beds are super comfy and I slept really good.

Parking is tough - I got lucky and parked by the pool all but one time - I did not like parking underground - if you go too far there is no where to turn around so you have to back up forever. I ended up parking in an odd spot directed by a hotel employee as they had literally run out of parking spaces - hotel was sold out. Minor inconvenience. Next night I did not go out at night - everything in the town practically shuts down at 9 anyway so I made sure we got back to the hotel and ended up ordering room service.

Monterey is a fun place for a quick vacation - Monterey Bay Aquarium and then the 17 mile drive and visiting Pebble Beach made for a good trip!

Oh yeah the hotel has free wifi in the rooms and free remote printing. I had an important work document to fax and they faxed it for free for me too - so that was really great for someone who needed to work a little on vacation!

Be mindful of the slow speed limits through this town though - just a tip!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Goddard, Kansas
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed the day after Memorial Day and we really liked the hotel. Although we did not get to experience the hotel all that much (we got in around 6 after driving up the PCH all day...and then went sightseeing in Monterey...then left early the next morning) what we did see we really liked.
The rooms were nice with a nice bed. The bathroom was pretty decent size, although it did have some sort of weird smell to it (I know it wasn't from us lol!) We asked for any upgrades and they put us overlooking the pool. The pool area is really nice with a hot tub and a fire pit. We sat in the hot tub and it was alright. Did not swim in the pool but it felt like a decent temperature since it was a really cool night. They have nice chairs to lay in which would be really relaxing if you had the time.
We used the fitness center in the morning and I was surprised at the size of it. I also liked having my car parked in a parking garage.
We did call to the front desk to ask what time the Aquarium opened and we got a different answer in the morning than what we got when we asked the night before. I think that the times had just changed around that week so maybe that was why we got an incorrect time.
Overall, we got an outstanding price on Priceline! I liked the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple