“Comfortable”

Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Maui, Hawaii
“Comfortable”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

For me there are no huge problems, but there is nothing special.
Rooms: Dated. Small, but enough for two adults and children.
Staff: nice and friendly
Food: good, easy custom cooked breakfast
Location: not far away from restaurants and shops

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks for your review and comments. We agree with you about the hotel having been dated when you stayed here in July...and have just spent several million dollars in upgrades with the hotel now fully refurbished! The breakfast remains delicious and cooked to order and our guests continue commenting on our convenient tranquil location. Please return soon to see the improvements!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a pretty average place. Not horrible, but we sometimes get a really great treatment from the Hilton chain. The check-in was good; we got recommendations for dinner reservations. We got the custom cooked breakfast at the restaurant which I enjoyed. Had it been warmer we could have enjoyed the hot tub and swimming pool. The location is good, right off highway 1, not far from fisherman's wharf and cannery row. Nothing much to complain about, but nothing special..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at HGI Monterey. It was good to read that you enjoyed our made to order breakfast and location. We appreciated you staying with us and hope that if you do return, as our renovation will be completed in a couple weeks!, that your stay will be better than just average.
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed March 16, 2013

First you are greeted by a mess of construction. You arrive at the entrance to a handwritten sign saying to leave your bags in the car. You are directed to the underground garage and told to use the "blue" elevator to go up one floor, to get to reception, which is off the lobby in a back room. There is no blue elevator. After roaming around,m we realized a small blue patch on a wall near an elevator meant "blue elevator". We check in, and my room turns out to be on the second floor, under the third floor walkway, so...anyone walking down the hallway makes tons of noise....and children running down the hallway. My room faced a back road, which cars, trucks going by. I asked to be moved and was moved up to the third floor. Breakast was good, dinner was not. The French Onion soup tasted like watered down gruel, and the burger was cheap quality meat, although the service was great. I was there two days, my co-worker one. My coworker left an iPhone cord in her room, and I reported it at 3PM the day she left, and the front desk said they would call me. That night I asked again, and they said only the Hd of Housekeeping or the manager could get into lost and found, which told me they do not trust their own employees...ridiculous. So since the manager was still there meeting with the contractor, I asked the front desk person to have him call me. He never did, so much for customer service. When I went downstairs the next morning to check out, I was told that the cord had been delivered to a room 11 rooms away from mine (which had not been my first room, or my coworkers room). I asked why, and they did not know. Naturally the cord was never seen again, and I told them they would have to pay the $30 to replace as it was their fault it went to the wrong room (and also never called me as promised the day it was lost). I have stayed in hotels undergoing construction, and they still maintain their quality and service...Hilton did not. I will not stay here again, even though I was told if I did I would get their "best room". I will say a couple of people at the "front desk" were very nice, but the entire experience was terrible. They did comp one of my nights for the problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
You are correct, the construction and renovation should not have impacted the service you had here at HGI, and it unfortunately negatively affected your experience here. I apologize for the miscommunications regarding the parking, elevator, and the I-Phone cable. The construction is nearly completed and we invite you to return and experience the higher levels of service we normally provide. And...you will be greeted with a renovated hotel property!
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We checked into a double bedded room late in the evening after briefly at Intercontinental hotel, Monterey. The room feel cramped and dated that there was not much area to move around in the double bedded room. This hotel do not have a heated indoor pool unlike most other Hilton as the outdoor pool was too cold to use in the rainy weather.However, the morning breakfast buffet was really great and also the front desk service was excellent. We checked about 2 hours late but it was just fine with no extra charge for it. The hotel has a beautiful front in a nice location but the rooms needs to be updated.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. So glad you had a delicious breakfast with us and enjoyed the location and look of our hotel. Great news...we are in the final stages of renovations so the updating you requested...is nearly completed! We hope you return to CA soon and can see the beautiful changes that have been made!
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here recently and I was very disappointed from the minute I checked in. I was there with my boyfriend on a babymoon. We were so excited to get some time together and I was excited to get some rest and relaxation from work. I had called and confirmed that the notes were on my reservation about our special occasion and that I was requesting an upgrade (i know its not guaranteed, but it was a slow weekend). When checking in they blatantly ignored my comments...they didn't say A WORD about our special occasion or congratulate me on my OBVIOUS pregnancy... There were 2 agents helping us and no one else around checking in... It is not that hard. We walked into the room to find 2 beds...nothing was done up (and I know how these things work). Luckily we didn't spend too much time in the room or at the hotel. But the morning of our departure they had construction workers in the room directly above us at 8am banging around...we expected to sleep in until 10am, but were woken up by the most annoying construction...HORRIBLE. The ONLY good thing about our whole stay was the bed...it was very comfortable. But that is it.. I am shocked and disappointed they didn't mention anything about our special occasion.

Room Tip: Wait until construction is over and DO NOT come for a special occasion...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologize for no one seeing the notes about your special occasion visit. We always do something special for these occasions and I'm so sorry that no one saw those notes on your reservation. The renovations are nearly completed, and I hope that you give us one more chance to make this right for you!!
San Lorenzo, California, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Monterey for the weekemd. The staff of this hotel was so very welcoming, I mentioned it was our anniversay and along with congradulations they offered us a room upgrade and complementry breakfast! About an hour later they sent a gift up to our room! They really made us feel so special! That night we ate dinner in the hotel's restaurant, what it lacks in ambiance it more then makes up in culinary delights!!! We highly recommand the pork chop. Overall we had a lovely experiance.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, king size bed, fridge and microwave and it had a large balcony overloo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gloria L
borinstein, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Monterey, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us at HGI Monterey! We are thrilled you had such a welcoming experience and enjoyed our staff, breakfast, and pork chop dinner! We again wish you a happy anniversary and hope you return again soon for another weekend getaway!
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Would not stay here again, for the money spent on this hotel, could have stayed somewhere else. Tried to sleep on one side of the bed, such an old matress, kept rolling to the middle of the matress! Not a fun nights sleep! Would not recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Diane S
We apologize for your poor sleep experience and invite you back to stay on our new beds which arrive by the end of this month! Good to read that you gave us the highest ratings in location, rooms, cleanliness and service and know that when you return (and we ask you to return and experience our new beds and renovations!!) your sleep experience will be exceptional!