“Keep on Driving”

Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed August 3, 2012

"Keep on driving" was the title of a review we read before booking this motel, through a Southwest Airlines vacation package, and we should have taken heed. The service was practically nonexistent. We ran out of toilet paper just two hours after the maid cleaned the room and had to go to the office to ask for more. No coffee was left in the room until our third day there. Of course the management has to keep expenses down, but enough is enough. I never expect much from motel continental breakfasts, but their lineup was the meagerest I've witnessed, and their frugality includes offering muffins that have been torn into random pieces. One can only imagine that this is so they can make use of guests' leftovers. What's more, some mornings there were no tongs available with which to transfer these bits onto a paper plate. The breakfast buffet is in the small office of the motel so food must be carried back to the room for consumption. My husband and I booked a "jacuzzi suite." The room furnishings were old and dilapidated: ancient TVs with only basic cable (and only one remote for the two TVs in our suite), old-style shiny bedspreads that seemed crusty, etc. There was barely room to walk between the bed and the TV. There was no iron in the room, and the hair dryer worked for only a minute or so at a time. The jacuzzi was a lawsuit waiting to happen, as guests must exit the tub via slick faux marble stairs. The room had an unpleasant odor at times. I did not dare walk on the carpet without shoes on. This motel does not have interior corridors, so safety is an issue. And it is noisy, even though our room was one of the farthest back from the street. The location is fine--though including Fisherman's Wharf in the name is misleading, as it is not in the Wharf/Cannery Row area. Keep on driving.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Monterey-Fisherman's Wharf Aquarium

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while visiting the Monterey Bay area. We found the location to be perfect. It is not within walking distance to the main part of Monterey but we had a car so this was not an issue.

The overall appearance of the hotel was surprisingly quaint, especially the outside of the building. We loved the mountain views from our window! As for the room quality, it was average with nice ammenities such as a microwave and mini-fridge.

The room was clean. My only complaint would be that the bottom mattress didn't have a bedskirt and I noticed some staining. Not sure why they don't put a bedskirt on that can be washed. The rest of the room was clean and spacious. No complaints other than the pillows are not the most comfortable - too hard!

Also, we had a problem with the motion detector in the room. After we went to bed, we noticed ever time we rolled over, the light in the room would come on. We did this about 5 times before my husband realized it was a malfunctioning motion detector. We ended up taping over it so the lights wouldn't come on while we were trying to sleep.

The free breakfast was cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, a few pastries and english muffins. Nothing fancy but a good start to the day!

I was would have rated this a 4 star for value and location until I noticed the stained mattresses!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were on our way to a family wedding in Three Rivers, and had just come from seeing Yosemite, but wanted to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We never dreamed we could find such nice accommodations for such a reasonable price, but your reviewers convinced us to try. We were delighted with the cleanliness and comfort of our room and the newly redecorated bath. Our room was quiet and efficiently arranged so that we really felt pampered. The breakfast was simple, but we always travel with our own cereal, so never leave hungry. The motel doesn't have customer laundry facilities, but the desk referred us to a very nice Fluff and Fold facility nearby. The proximity of the shopping mall made it very easy to find good places to eat, and our GPS helped us drive to the Aquarium quickly and easily. Except for there not always being a response from the front desk, we really had no complaints, and would definitely stay there again if the occasion arose.

Room Tip: One-story wing just off the office, but away from the street, is very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This location was perfect for our little family! Close to the wharf, and to cannery row! We felt safe, it was quiet, and clean! Awesome price, simple amenities but with the beaches, parks, shopping, etc. We didn't feel we needed anything else. Friendly, and efficient staff, awesome price, comfortable beds! Definitely would book again!

Room Tip: The only thing we didn't like was that the stairs were a little uneven and we had to be cautious...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bmommyx3
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Pros: Excellent view, good continental breakfast, low price, walking distance from downtown Monterey. Frig & microwave. Large rooms. strong wi fi signal. Clean rooms.

Cons: Poor customer service. The front desk will not answer the phone. I had to call their local number using my cell phone to ask for extra towels. The front desk personal do not dress professionally nor is their hygiene kept.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JoeA336
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I have been visiting Monterey for 40 +years. I stayed here this weekend while visiting to get a rental unit ready for a new tenant. All I wanted was a clean room,comfortable bed, plenty of hot water and a TV! Everything I needed was provided and I was completely comfortable and satisfied. I have stayed in many expensive hotels/motels incl the Monterey Plaza/Bay Inn/Hyatt etc with my wife and those are all excellent places ( and three to four times the cost)--but for a clean,standard motel room this is a excellent place to stay. I will be back again--by the way the bath was newly tiled, the room was indeed crowded but a room with king bed for under $75 in Monterey on a Friday night with coffee and light breakfast- it is a good deal!

Room Tip: not sure-I stayed in 115
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rob H
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I think the listing is not quite accurate (you'll have to drive a bit to get to Fisherman's Wharf or the Aquarium), but this must be one of the best bargains on the Monterey Peninsula. Clean rooms, excellent furnishings, and friendly staff - a King-size bed for $69 per night ! Or you can get an ocean-view room at another motel on the Monterey coast or in Carmel for $150-200 per night. Your choice. The breakfast at the Days Inn leaves much to be desired, but you can grab some juice or coffee, then walk across the street to Whole Foods and get excellent pastry.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple