“Shaddy & dangerous place”

Pacific Inn Monterey
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Fremont, California
“Shaddy & dangerous place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

One of the worst experience with this motel with a shaddy bussiness practise. The attitude of the front desk lady boils down to downright racist & rude behavior. I had booked a room thru hotwire a month back for couple of hundred bucks for a night stay with my family. Upon reaching the hotel during the night time the front desk lady refused downright that there is any room available & all the rooms were booked. She mentioned that expedia double booked the room , lame excuse? Expedia??? I mentioned that i booked thru hotwire & she says "well they are all the same, go deal with hotwire". Obviously they had sold my room to somebody else for higher price, may be they thought i won't be checking in as it was around 8:30pm. I had to call hotwire customer service & they were kind enough to route me to another hotel near by, they were totally surprised as well. This is the first time this has happened to me, never had any issues with hotwire before.

Now the interesting part, while i was talking to the front desk lady a cop came by and stood behind me. As i was about to leave the place i heard him talking to the front desk lady enquiring how long she was working there & stuff. Then he was enquiring the whereabouts of couple of persons who were staying last night, maybe prostitution ?? Drug dealers ?? The area does not seem to be safe & there is 100% illegal activity going on. Be very careful before you book this place, i was later glad that i didn't stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Venkat T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bad Homburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Please don’t misunderstand my rating of 4.
This motel was certainly not the nicest place I have ever stayed in with the best breakfast of all times. But if I compare the price (78 USD incl. fees and taxes for a king bed room) with other places I have stayed, I have to rate the Pacific Inn higher than the others because it was really good value for money.
Actually, the price is the only reason I forgive them for the throw-away breakfast with paper cups, plastic plates and plastic knifes and spoons. I really hate to eat without real tableware.

The inn is located on N Freemont Street where you find lots of motels. Several inexpensive dining places and a big supermarket are in walking distance.
The room was quite spacious and clean. We had a quiet night’s sleep in the comfy bed. The bathroom features a big shower in a bathtub. Wi-fi didn’t work optimal.
So, if you don’t have any special high expectations this is a good place to stay.
I myself would probably choose another place the next time in Monterey. It would have been nice to be closer to the beautiful marina or to Cannery Wharf. To park your car near the Bay Aquarium is quite expensive, so an accommodation in this area would have had further advantages.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nadine W
Northern California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Upon check in, the young lady was very friendly. But let's get to why I rate this so low.

. I know I booked a budget hotel but I did not anticipate such a place. Our room did not have a kick plate at bottom of door. Leaving a good 2 inch gap to the outside. So. Just about any mouse or giant bug can just call my room, luggage or bed home whenever they wanted. The sliding window did not shut all the way and would not lock. Looking at the individuals cruising the area, this does not make me feel safe to have a window or door not secure especially with two young travelers.

The carpet was disgusting! But I could have already given myself an unfair view based on the door and window situation. For this reason I decide to give it a shot and go to the front desk to address issue. Manager smells of vodka from six feet away. Very friendly and tried to accommodate but with the obvious drug addicts sitting, socializing with manager and his stench of alcohol we decide to check out immediately! Use caution please! It really is not the best of neighborhoods either. I do not suggest any hotel on Fremond street. Try Munras first for a budget hotel!

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room? A different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeb518

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Great location for budget travelers. Our family of four arrived late and were told there was no vacancy (even tho we made a prior reservation through hotels.com). Bill, the front desk attendant, was able to find us a room anyway and was very accommodating and friendly. The room wasn't quite ready when we got there (no clean towels) and the exhaust fan in the bathroom emitted a terrible sewage smell. The next day we moved to another room and it was fine-- clean and comfortable, but definitely not fancy. The two nights we were there, the key card machine was broken, so the room had to be opened for us. The towels were very thin, breakfast was very basic, no pool. Still, most accommodations in Monterey are extremely expensive--this place works fine as long as you don't plan to spend an awful lot of time in your hotel room.

White Salmon, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Pacific Inn. The property was very neat and tidy. The rooms were very large by todays standards. The bed was comfortable & the room was clean. I also liked the fact that they had Dish TV and a larger refridgerator in the room. The bathroom was a bit small, but it was quite adequate. I wouldstay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ttocsnodrog_2000
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on our road trip down the coast. Service from manager and employees was exceptional! Great room, very clean, fridge, microwave and great value. Location excellent! Great stay and highly recommended!

1 Thank Vanishman942
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was very skeptical about this hotel after I reserved it on Hotwire. The most recent reviews were very negative and I was concerned about safety because I'm a single mom with a toddler.
We arrived several hours later than our original itinerary and we were unable to go to the aquarium because it was obviously after 7 PM in fact it was more like 9:30 PM and it was dark out.

Our room was perfectly clean, it was nicer than I expected, it"s a small hotel with a small parking area, all the cars there were very nice vehicles. No matter where you parked you were really close to your room because of the way the hotel is set up.

The breakfast in the morning is just perfect for something you want to grab quick and get back on the road.

The people I encountered the front desk attendant, the cleaning attendant, everyone was extremely nice and professional.

We will be back if we ever come back to Monterey.

1 Thank renni1010