“Perfect Hotel for Family Fun”

BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn
Ranked #9 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Madera, California
“Perfect Hotel for Family Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

Our family has always stayed at this Hotel. It is clean, easy to get to and close to shops and the Warf. We would recommend this place for everyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Just got back from staying at Best Western De Anza Inn in Monterey, Ca because of good reviews and I'm glad I did. Rooms WERE spacious because I peeked in other open doors and they were all huge-with big desk in front of bay window. I our king bd rm we had a sofa sleeper with coffee table, comfy chair with ottoman and full length mirror, phone in bathroom, bowed shower cutain. Delicious coffee cake, assorted dry cereals(manager said she will have hot oatmeal next time) fresh fruit, apple and orange juice, scrambled eggs, toast and english muffins-they even had cream cheese. Manager said they ordered new french bedding like heavenly beds. She was very kind and went overboard to please. The lobby had piped in music and even a koi pond. Very pleasant all. Monterey best value hotel -luxury without luxury price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Stayed at 8 hotels during trip to California & this was the poorest. Arrived to find nobody at front desk - little printed sign saying 'back in 3 minutes' which we saw many times during our one night stay! Three minutes would have been fine but it was far longer than this. And we were desperate for loo and couldn't find one near reception! Had plenty of time to pity the poor fish in the grim, stark fish pool -a 'feature' in reception. Our room was large and clean but uninspired.We faced the road which was ok with the windows shut but it was far too noisy to open them. We didn't notice the lack of AC till we went to bed and sweltered. This was made worse by the polyester sheets. Basically, we slept very badly. Breakfast was dire - no space to eat (in receptipon) and poor selection of food. Looked at the minute pool beside the main road and couldn't understand why anyone would use it. On check-out (another 'back in three minutes scenario') we mentioned the heat in the room and were told that nobody else had complained. At that point, another lady said 'We couldn't sleep either because of the heat'. So, I guess we were not alone. It's not an awful hotel but there must be better options in the area. It was our first Best Western experinece and will probably be our last.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mexi
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western de Anza Inn for three nights in July. It was a wonderful experience from the moment we walked in the door. Classical music is playing in the lobby and a fish pond is at the entrance. The room, a king size bed with a pullout sofa, was spacious and clean. The furnishing and décor had a luxurious look. The bathroom was also large. The continental breakfast was pretty basic but fine. The breakfast area was rather small but if you ate early there was not a problem. I appreciated the good room coffee served in real mugs and the option to pick up the USA Today. We used both the pool and the hot tub during our stay and they were both clean! The staff was friendly and helpful in finding local places to eat and how to get around. The Best Western de Anza Inn is not within walking distance to any of the attractions in Monterey but that was fine for us. This hotel was a bargain. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Porterville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed one night at the Best Western De Anza for a quick visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Check in was nice and quick, our room was on the first floor and was very nice for a king room with a pull out sofa. There is no AC in the rooms, but the person at the desk offered us a fan at check in, and that was all that was necessary. The weather was nice, as always in Monterey, and our room was fine with a window open. None of the hotels listed on Fremont are realistic walking distance, so we drove and parked at the wharf and rode the free trolley around town. Continental breakfast is waffles, toast, muffins, cereal, and oatmeal. I believe there was scrambled eggs in a crock pot as well. The area for breakfast is small, and was crowded in the morning, but we left the hotel to eat downtown, so I don't know the quality. Around 140 for a saturday night in July, I was more than satisfied.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Richmond, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

The hotel looks nicer than in the pictures. Our king-bed room was very spacious and very nice. The staff was helpful. There was only one con - the breakfast area is very small. Overall, the hotel offers very good value. We will definitely stay in this hotel again, if we go back to Monterey .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

I don't write hotel reviews very often, because I don't travel alot, but when my wife and I arrived here late on the night of June 2, 2010, we were met with a smile from the front desk hostess Rita. She and Carlos and the rest of the staff made sure our room was comfortable and they asked if there was anything we needed during our stay.

The room is large, and linen and bed and bath were very clean. By the way, the bed was comfortable, and the furniture and carpet were in good condition as well. Yes, you can hear the other guest just a little bit next door, but the other guest staying at the hotel were not loud at all. In addition, I have stayed at a 5 star resort Hotel and could hear the guest thru the wall in the room next door, so no big deal. The lobby was decorated nicely with a fish tank located at floor level. This is a non-smoking facility and it was nice to walk into our room which smelled fresh as the outdoors. My wife has breathing problems and it was a relief to know she was very happy.

I did not go into the pool located just out front, but it looked adequate and it looked clean along with the rest of the facility outside as well. There is also an inground hot tub next to the pool. The neighborhood seemed safe enough and yes there is an adult book store across the street, but I did not notice any problem there either since it fit in well with the rest of the area which was nice and quiet. There were no loud old dirty men hanging out there, nor did I see anyone go inside.

The continental breakfast was adequate for what it is, if you don't like it than you have the choice of paying for breakfast at the Denny's Restaurant located right next door. We ate there also and the food was excellent.

Our stay here in Monterey was very nice, and I'll be sure to come back to this same hotel on my next trip. There is another Best Western Hotel right up the street and it did not look good at all from the outside. So be sure to book the Best Western DeAnza Inn.

I can be very critical when needed, so if this seems like this is a paid written advertisement, believe me it is not. I just feel I got good value for my money spent.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple