“Better than I hoped for.”

Best Western De Anza Inn
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights beginning January 1, 2012. I had originally found it on tripadvisor.com and thought it looked like something I would like. I was a little hesitant about the neighborhood at first. Fremont Street can be "the lower price spread" in many respects but has pockets of nice. I usually stay on Munras Ave. but decided to try this and was glad I did.
When I made my reservation, I checked prices on tripadvisor. I found Orbitz had a good price but I have had bad experiences with them so I called the hotel directly and asked for a price quote. The starting price was $87.99 for a king room. Next mentioned was a AAA discount bringing the room to $76.99 per night. I then asked if they would match Orbitz price of $67.99. As long as I could guarentee 3 nights, they were willing to match the price. It never hurts to ask.
When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is well kept up. The lobby was clean and the people behind the desk very helpful. I was given the keys to a King room on the third (top) floor. The room was very large by hotel standards. There was a king sized bed, two night stands, and a unit holding a flat screen tv, microwave, safe, refridgerator and drawers for clothes. A desk with chair in a bay window, a couch with coffee table set in front of another large window and an easy chair with ottoman gave me plenty of places to sit other than the bed. I hate it when the only place to sit is the bed!
The bathroom wasn't overly large but had a nice big counter to put things on. There was also a coffee maker in the bathroom.
Everything was clean and in good repair.
Breakfast in the morning consists of cold cereals, juices, fruit, breads to toast, bagels, muffins, instant hot cereal, something hot in a crockpot (eggs?), and plenty of coffee. There is also coffee, apples and oranges available all day.
If I have to find any complaints, one would be the rather thin walls, as has been mentioned before. Really not bad enough to offset the good things about this hotel.
Don't let the location stop you from trying this hotel. For Monterey it is a good deal.

Room Tip: Top floor, end of the hallway will be the quietest. No air conditioning (don't need it in Monte...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank adstz
deanza2141, Front Office Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2012

Were glad that you took advantage of our 3 night promotional stay and we appreciate your business. Please do not hesitate to call the hotel directly the next time you book a stay here.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed for one night. Very nice and clean and well maintained. Restaurants nearby. Would defintely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed here at the very end of August 2011 for 2 nights. The rooms were in great shape - seemed newly remodeled. Plenty of room and nice furnishings. Front desk staff were helpful. Location was right off the highway. CVS, Dennys and another restaurant right nearby. Continental breakfast had good choices and even hot eggs. Our only problem came at night. There is no A/C in the hotel - which I understand is the norm in the area. However, our room was in the front, right on the main road. And, we couldn't sleep because of the road noise. We had to keep the window open b/c it was much too warm in the room with the windows closed. But, with the windows open, it was very difficult to sleep. When we checked in, we opened the window and realized the noise problem so went right back to the front desk to ask to switch rooms to the back of the property. Unfortunately, there were no other rooms available that night. (no fault of the hotel, of course) I know it may seem silly to give a lesser review because of the road noise but it really affected our stay.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
deanza2141, Front Office Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor. On behalf of the entire hotel staff we would like to apologize for the uncomfortable night you had with us. We know that not having air conditioning in the room could be uncomfortable at times and opening up the window could allow street noise. Please accept our apology by giving us another chance to exceed your expectations and offer you a better stay the next time your in the Monterey area.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I was looking for a hotel in Monterey for a night while visiting the area with my daughter. A quick look revealed the BW de Anza Inn as a good hotel and our stay confirmed it.
Spacious room, good wireless LAN, a nice continental breakfast. What else do you expect?
It is a short drive to Cannery Row and the Aquarium but OK.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
deanza2141, Front Office Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback. We hope you choose the Best Western brand more often when traveling on those short getaways.

Codyt@deanzainn.com

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Rita, on the front desk, greeted us graciously and gave us, with careful attention, thoughtful suggestions for getting around and exploring the area. She truly understands hospitality and she's a pro. The spacious rooms are well appointed. Breakfast was satisfying. Clearly, the management anticipates, plans and executes. Rita proves that.

• Stayed: November 2011
deanza2141, Front Office Manager at Best Western De Anza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Thank you for your kind feed back about Rita. She is one of our more experienced employees. With many years in the Hospitality industry she definitely knows how to service our guests’. We look forward to seeing you back at the DeAnza Inn on your next trip to Monterey.

BW DeAnza Inn

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We were visiting family in the area and are Best Western Rewards Members. The room was very clean and large. Plenty of counter space in the bathroom a plus! Front desk personnel friendly and professional.The hotel is not located in the heart of town but just a few minutes away and less expensive than downtown. Great stay at a great price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose to stay with us here at the DeAnza Inn. If you are a frequent business traveler to this area and would like some information about our corporate rate please contact me so we can set something up.

BW DeAnza Inn

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Spent one night at this property for a morning meeting nearby the hotel. Rate is not the cheapest in town (about $90/night with the special rate) but considering wifi, breakfast and parking are all included, the deal is still very good.

Hotel is conveniently located on North Fremont St. and very close to freeway so getting in and out of Monterey is super easy yet very quiet otherwise. There are a few shops and restaurants in the immediate area but for more choices, you will need to hit the Cannery Row area which is about 5-7 minutes away by car. Hotels in Cannery Row are generally a lot more expensive and often parking costs extra. For a business traveler like myself, I prefer a convenient yet quiet location so De Anza Inn worked out perfectly for me.

Review of this hotel on Tripadvisor is not all that positive so I did not have high expectation while making the reservation. But I was pleasantly surprised after I checked into the hotel and found that not only my room was HUGE, it was also comfortably furnished with a king size bed, a full living room furniture set, a work desk and a huge armoire that houses a microwave/refrigerator/new LCD TV. Bathroom also seemed recently refurbished. The whole room simply looked nice, clean and comfortable.

Breakfast is served daily in a small area inside the lobby - very typical continental breakfast but definitely sufficient. Hotel staff had a low key manner yet very professional and helpful.

Overall I had a very good experience at De Anza Inn - this place was much better than I originally thought and is perfect for an overnight or short stay - totally suits my need. I will most definitely come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Select a room facing the back so you won't hear any noise
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business