“Imitation Crab? In Monterrey?”

Ambrosia India Bistro
Ranked #47 of 301 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Greenbrae, California
“Imitation Crab? In Monterrey?”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We ate here on 1.5.13.

My wife ordered the Ambrosia Seafood Masala. It's supposed to be an Indian version od cioppino. My wife took a bite. Then another. Then one final bite and asked me to taste because something wasn't right with the dish. I spotted it right away. The "crab" was imitation crab.

We called over the waiter and I asked him what was in the masala. I asked him if there was imitation crab in the dish. He didn't speak English very well and went off to get someone who could speak with me.

Everyone was smiling like little boys who'd been caught doing something wrong. It was kind of funny in a way. We counted 16 pieces of imitation crab. I pointed out that we were in Monterrey, CA and there should be no trouble finding real crab.

Our waiter brought us a menu and we ordered more of what I had which was the Lamb Vindaloo. The Lamb Vindaloo was so yummy!

To the owner: What are you doing? Why are you making the Ambrosia Seafood Masala with imitation crab? Are you trying to make some profit gambling that people won't know what real crab tastes like? Well, you lost.

On the restaurant's side, they did not charge us for the Ambrosia Seafood Masala they we sent back. Good on you.

The Lamb Vindaloo was delicious. The rice was superb. The naan was excellent. The veggie platter was VERY good.

Finally, stick with what you do well. Drop the Seafood Masala. No one will notice.

I give you five stars for the lamb but give you one star for trying to trick me with imitation crab. That makes three stars. You'd have a higher rating if you dropped the seafood masala.

• Visited January 2013

Duluth, Minnesota
“best I've had”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had the buffet and enjoyed everything. I ate much more than I was planning because it was all so delicious. Lots of veggie items. Good service. I will be back.

• Visited October 2012
California
“Attractive Restaurant, Comfortable Seating, Indoors or Patio Dining”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Only been here for lunch buffet. My recommendation: Arrive early for full selection of buffet items. They don't always replace items as they run out towards the end of the lunch buffet and the food will tend to get cold and picked over. However, everything was tasty, excep the dessert, and the naan was good. The dessert could be better. It was difficult to find the rice in the rice pudding and the balls in syrup lacked flavor. I'd give them a higher rating except for those two flaws.

• Visited November 2012
Roseville, CA
“Wonderful Indian food and hospitality.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were referred by some people we met to this restaurant. Great ambiance and the food was terrific. We had the buffet and while it didn't have a wide variety, those dishes were fresh and tasty. Service was good too.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank MarBea26
Sacramento, California
“Tasty, but...”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The portions here are too small. The food was really good, but our group left hungry. Maybe the management will realize this and improve the portions to at least an average sized meal.

Visited November 2012