“Fabulous massage”
Review of Spa on the Plaza

Spa on the Plaza
Ranked #2 of 15 Spas & Wellness in Monterey
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I checked all over for a good spa to visit during our stay in the Monterey/Carmel area. After reading reviews and visiting the spas websites, I chose Spa on the Plaza. Boy was I glad I did. The interior is terrific and beautifully appointed. There is a large changing room with lockers (robe and slippers), showers and amenities. The quiet area is good to relax in both before and after your treatment. I had the mud wrap which started with a nice warm bath soak followed by the wrap. But, the best part was the massage I got from Ottie who really knows her stuff! I had a few aches in my low back and upper right shoulder. She has just the right amount of strength followed by an even stroke that soothed these areas. I was very pleased with her technique and came away from the massage just as I had intended!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"tailored"
"peninsula"

Reviewed January 9, 2008

We heard this was one of the best on the Monterey peninsula. We were disappointed due to the fact the entire facility is undergoing renovation. The massages were in a converted hotel room! No music, no bubbling water. A table in a room - that's it. My wife did the pre-natal and was concerned with the techniques used. They didn't seem to experienced in the area. Bottom line - we would check this out again after the renovation is done but don't waste your time or money now.

Reviewed November 20, 2007

I had a facial and a massage. The facialist was quite good, and made it a relaxing experience. I was less fond of the massage, which was not very relaxing - very physical, and not great for working out tension. The only real negative to the experience is the facility - the women's restroom is very small. It has only one toilet, one sink, and one shower, in a small space. If anyone else is in there with you it can get pretty crowded (i.e. if someone is trying to dry their hair after a shower when you want to wash your hands....). Otherwise, a good experience.

Reviewed May 20, 2007

Spa on the Plaza is a stones throw from Fisherman's Wharf. They offered the best packages for the area (I checked!). Very nicely decorated, Zen elegance, clean, peaceful, helpful knowledgeable staff. The package I purchased included an aromatheropy jacuzzi bubble bath, light body brush, mud wrap w/foot massage, rinse and full body massge. I upgraded the massage to sports (+$10.00) which was totally worth it. Make sure to reserve the sauna when you check in. The whole experience was what you want when you're on vacation. The Spa on the Plaza is now a permanent fixture on my "To Do" list when visiting Monterey.