“Avoid At All Costs”
Review of Casa Verde Inn

Casa Verde Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The exterior of the Casa Verde Inn was quite pleasant: lots of flowers growing artistically in all manner of planters. Then we opened our door to discover a dank room smelling strongly of damp and antiseptic. Here is a short list of (some of the) things that went wrong: 1) The phone in the room did not work (we had a relative call the hotel several times, only to be given short shrift by the manager/front desk clerk; no one bothered to investigate why calls could not go patched through or why our phone had no dial tone); 2) There was a hair in the coffee pot. 3) The bath tub had no shower head, only a faulty pipe that spewed water madly, resulting in a flooding of the bathroom within one minute. 4) The electrical outlets were so old and ineffective that it was nearly impossible to plug in any electrical appliances into any of them. I could also describe the scratchy towels, light fixtures that did not work and hard mattress, but this would turn into a novel-length rant.
The Casa Verde was not worth even half of the exorbitant price we paid. To call this dump a rip-off would be too kind.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SunitaVancouver
There are newer reviews for Casa Verde Inn

Reviewed September 8, 2009

We found the Casa Verde to be fine. Very clean, everything. Not new, but clean. Microwave, small fridge in room. Wireless net. Beautiful flowers all around parking area. Excellent location for Old Fishermans' Wharf, Cannery Row, historic sites, many beautiful coastal parks and parking areas. Short drive to Carmel by the Sea. Less than one minute from CA 1. Casa Verde is also the name of street which crosses Fremont where Motel is located. Many restaurants all around. On one side of property is an Italian restaurant and on the other is Denny's. I'd advise an extension cord as plugs are not abundant. Oh, yes, and owners were friendly. Room has a floor fan, which can be moved, if gets too warm.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miata-MX5
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The room was clean, service excellent at all the time, location good. Parking and the room's entrance was rich of flower, (the view was wery beautiful).
The manager was very helpfull and very kindly, he supported us in a big problem
was hapened.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2009

So I planned on staying here for a night as the reviews said it would be fine. That's about what it was...fine for the price. The room was clean if not new. The other guests were a combination of slightly shady to travellers like me looking to flop in a nice beach town for the night.

However, the Free Wifi was down. I went to the desk to ask about it and when the man realized it was down, he picked up the phone...said a few words in a language I don;t know . Hung up the phone and said, "I am so very sorry about that. I have arranged for you to stay at the Comfort inn across the street for the same price. I hope this will meet to your satisfaction." It certainly did. He voided my charge and off I went to the brand new Comfort Inn across the street for $30 cheaper than their rate.

Can't give a complete review on the stay, but the ownership rocks!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I don't understand how people can criticize this motel so harshly. I stayed here for 5 nights, visiting USA for the first time. The manager, upon check in, was extremely helpful and offered assistance checking in. This motel is also considerably cheaper than the competition! It is not luxury, but it is excellent considering the rates. I only stayed there to sleep but was impressed as my bed was made, with clean towels every day. There are many local attractions and beaches. Also there is a decent Italian restaurant next door. Maybe i am just happy with this because I am a student on a budget, but if you are just looking for a place to sleep, I would recommend this. Also, it offered free WiFi, something that other motels simply don't even consider!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank kris2405
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I checked around Monterey for a cheap hotel and stumbled upon Casa Verde Inn. Casa Verde offered a room which was comparable to the other discount hotels in the area but with a rate that was $20 cheaper ($44 with taxes).

I've done a lot of traveling and I've found very few other hotels that offer free wireless internet, full cable TV, a refrigerator and microwave all for less than fifty bucks.

Apparently, new management has taken over this month and they were very pleasant and helpful. I would take this into account when looking over the older reviews for this hotel.

Bottom line: If you're staying in Monterey and looking for a nice, affordable hotel I would recommend Casa Verde Inn.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank krazya1pha
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I just spent 3 very unpleasant nights at the Casa Verde Inn. Due to the unpleasant prior write ups on this Inn, I called with an upbeat attitude to confirm my reservation and request a "non-smoking" room. With a stern voice, I was informed my reservation was confirmed. When I arrived, I got lectured on having called to confirm my reservation. Upon check-in, I asked for direnctions to "Fisherman's Wharf," to which he told me he did not know. I was surprised and stated, "oh?" (knowing it was within two miles and a major landmark for the area). Then, he very rudely and reluctantly gave me directions.

I must add, upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised with the beautifuly flowers and landscape on the premises, but the aire of the manager was very sour where you did not want to engage in any conversation with him.

My first night, I was very rudely awoken by this manager screaming outside my window at 1 a.m. for someone to move their car as they were not registered to stay there. One would've thought we were in a major war the way he carried on and on, especially at that hour.

The heater was not working, I did decide to go and address this matter at which the manager and his wife gave me a repetitious well rehearsed escalated lecture that it did work. I left for my meetings for the day to come back and find out they ended up fixing the heater. I chose not to go and thank them for fixing it as I wanted to avoid another unpleasant encounter (i.e. "it was never broken").

The shower was nice and hot, as was the pressure, despite an equal amount of water coming out of the spout for a bath.

The room...there was some type of "white residue" in a corner of the carpet that sat there for two days until it was finally vacuumed up. I did share with the "manager" that the room was very musty (I noticed that several of the rooms had their doors "ajar" to get some fresh air). I was given a very dirty and rude look with a comment of denial by the manager. Consequently, you do not want to walk around without your shoes on.

There is a coffee maker, yet no immediate plug to use. I had to take it off of the dark coffee table (only one small lamp light works in the room) to place it on the floor to plug it in. Idid this for the first a.m. only as I had never tasted such awful sour taste in my life. I am into safety, so I unplugged it and placed its remains back on the table where it sat for the next serveral days (house keeping chose to ignore it and my cup of coffee which sat on the table).

Unfortunately, I slammed my foot into a "box" which is under the mattress (minimal room to walk around) which is still recovering. I chose not to mention it to the manager to "protect myself from another one of his attacking lectures."

The walls are paper thin, so, you hear EVERYTHING. The walkways are disgusting and not washed off. I felt sorry for a homeless lady who was sleeping in her car as other "customers" made fun of her "gaping."

My final day...dare I thank the manager for not waking me up at 1 a.m. the other days? I could not believe at 10 a.m., the day of my check out, the "housekeeper?" was trying to get into my room without even knocking first! Then, the manager came around, knocking and confronting anyone who was still there. I told him I will be out of there within two minutes (I was so tired from being woken up by all the chaos there). He yelled "GOOD!"

I would have left this "place" sooner but it was a holiday weekend with limited available spaces elsewhere along with having prepaid for this...this....

Peace became me as I permanently drove away from the Casa Verde Inn. I had to take a day off to cleanse myself and recover from this experience.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank thediamond1