“Great value!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
U.S.
“Great value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

I checked around Monterey for a cheap hotel and stumbled upon Casa Verde Inn. Casa Verde offered a room which was comparable to the other discount hotels in the area but with a rate that was $20 cheaper ($44 with taxes).

I've done a lot of traveling and I've found very few other hotels that offer free wireless internet, full cable TV, a refrigerator and microwave all for less than fifty bucks.

Apparently, new management has taken over this month and they were very pleasant and helpful. I would take this into account when looking over the older reviews for this hotel.

Bottom line: If you're staying in Monterey and looking for a nice, affordable hotel I would recommend Casa Verde Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank krazya1pha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

I just spent 3 very unpleasant nights at the Casa Verde Inn. Due to the unpleasant prior write ups on this Inn, I called with an upbeat attitude to confirm my reservation and request a "non-smoking" room. With a stern voice, I was informed my reservation was confirmed. When I arrived, I got lectured on having called to confirm my reservation. Upon check-in, I asked for direnctions to "Fisherman's Wharf," to which he told me he did not know. I was surprised and stated, "oh?" (knowing it was within two miles and a major landmark for the area). Then, he very rudely and reluctantly gave me directions.

I must add, upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised with the beautifuly flowers and landscape on the premises, but the aire of the manager was very sour where you did not want to engage in any conversation with him.

My first night, I was very rudely awoken by this manager screaming outside my window at 1 a.m. for someone to move their car as they were not registered to stay there. One would've thought we were in a major war the way he carried on and on, especially at that hour.

The heater was not working, I did decide to go and address this matter at which the manager and his wife gave me a repetitious well rehearsed escalated lecture that it did work. I left for my meetings for the day to come back and find out they ended up fixing the heater. I chose not to go and thank them for fixing it as I wanted to avoid another unpleasant encounter (i.e. "it was never broken").

The shower was nice and hot, as was the pressure, despite an equal amount of water coming out of the spout for a bath.

The room...there was some type of "white residue" in a corner of the carpet that sat there for two days until it was finally vacuumed up. I did share with the "manager" that the room was very musty (I noticed that several of the rooms had their doors "ajar" to get some fresh air). I was given a very dirty and rude look with a comment of denial by the manager. Consequently, you do not want to walk around without your shoes on.

There is a coffee maker, yet no immediate plug to use. I had to take it off of the dark coffee table (only one small lamp light works in the room) to place it on the floor to plug it in. Idid this for the first a.m. only as I had never tasted such awful sour taste in my life. I am into safety, so I unplugged it and placed its remains back on the table where it sat for the next serveral days (house keeping chose to ignore it and my cup of coffee which sat on the table).

Unfortunately, I slammed my foot into a "box" which is under the mattress (minimal room to walk around) which is still recovering. I chose not to mention it to the manager to "protect myself from another one of his attacking lectures."

The walls are paper thin, so, you hear EVERYTHING. The walkways are disgusting and not washed off. I felt sorry for a homeless lady who was sleeping in her car as other "customers" made fun of her "gaping."

My final day...dare I thank the manager for not waking me up at 1 a.m. the other days? I could not believe at 10 a.m., the day of my check out, the "housekeeper?" was trying to get into my room without even knocking first! Then, the manager came around, knocking and confronting anyone who was still there. I told him I will be out of there within two minutes (I was so tired from being woken up by all the chaos there). He yelled "GOOD!"

I would have left this "place" sooner but it was a holiday weekend with limited available spaces elsewhere along with having prepaid for this...this....

Peace became me as I permanently drove away from the Casa Verde Inn. I had to take a day off to cleanse myself and recover from this experience.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The management; the lack of cleanliness; the lack of customer service; the screaming by managment.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank thediamond1

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Thousand Oaks, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

The owner/manager of this hotel is extremely rude. I called to cancel my reservation for the September 22 weekend of the Monterey Jazz Festival, it is July 27. I had much difficulty communicating with him, and I am a pretty patient, seasoned traveller. He was very impatient and rude. I tried to cancel my reservation online and it said it could not be cancelled online, that I should contact the hotel. When I called, the manager refused to cancel my reservation because "He would lose his commission that he had paid". (I am not making this up!) There was no other phone number available on the website where I made the reservation, so I emailed them. I suspect it will not be a problem if the website people have any customer service skills.
The same man had called a friend of mine a couple weeks ago stating that he needed to raise her rate. That when he had taken her reservation, he had not realized that it was the Monterey Jazz Festival Weekend, even though he is located across the street. They had a long and difficult conversation and she said her rate was confirmed by her credit card and she had a receipt. He said she would be "sleeping in the dumpster". Really! She had intended to show up anyway, but the whole thing is just a recipe for disaster. I would hate to stay at this hotel with this unreasonable man! Stay clear!

• Disliked — Rude manager
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hyacinthcourt
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

I'm the type of traveler that would rather spend money on fun stuff to do on vacation instead of hotels, but this was even too much for us. It was like staying in someone's walk in closet, it's extremely dated, had an awful closed in smell and just felt bad. The beds were uncomfortable, taking a shower was like being in a car wash--there wasn't a shower head in the shower, just a pipe sticking out of the wall. And some of the late night clientel--at least during our stay were a little shady and kept us up all night roaming around the parking lot talking as loud as possible. Staying in such a beautiful area made it a little easier because it allowed us to stay out of the hotel as much as possible by staying out late in the evenings and leaving at the crack of dawn. Coming from a frugal vacationer, this place is definately not recommended--spend a few more bucks you won't regret it!

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Louie74
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

Great place to stay if your looking for no thrills. The motel is convenient, CLEAN, and has a friendly front desk staff that pays attention to your needs. We would stay here again. Face it, Monterey is a great place to spend your time outdoors and if you just need a comfortable place to crash, then the Casa Verde is perfect. We also ordered a great Italian pizza from the on-site restaurant. You can't go wrong if your looking for a good price since rooms are so expensive in Monterey.

Stayed August 2006