“Room with a View”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Torito

El Torito
Reserve with OpenTable
El Torito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 298 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
American Fork, Utah
“Room with a View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had family members with us who had never seen the view of Monterey Bay from El Torito. We considered it our duty to introduce them to this spectacular sight. Go before dark. Ask for window seating (we had to wait about 15 minutes longer for a window, but it was so worth it). We watched long lines of cormorants and pelicans flying past, a beautiful white egret lingering on some kelp a little ways out, seals, sea lions and playful otters. Oh yes, since this is a restaurant review, I should mention the food! We were served quickly, and the food was tasty and attractively presented. I noted that the refried beans were above average in flavor. We always include El Torito in our visits to Monterey.

Inman, South Carolina
“Love this place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Whenever we go back to CA we try to go to El Torito's for our Mexican food fix! They have excellent food, good service and a great view of the Monterey Bay. If you try it, I'm sure you'll like it!!

Visited September 2013
Kent, Washington
“Good Food with Great Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This building really sticks out for two reasons, one it is pretty much alone, just at the start of Cannery Row and second pretty much all of it is on pilings over the water.

My wife and I had a late dinner there one night with our daughter and found the place to be pretty good. On par with most American style Mexican restaurants. My wife and I each had a premium margarita which I thought was very good. For food I had a combo plate which included a taco, enchilada and tamale all of which was very tasty. My wife had nachos and my daughter had the children's cheese quesadilla.

Overall we thought the service was great, very attentive and accommodating for children. The food was good and fair priced and the location/views were amazing.

Germany
“Food okay, service okay, view spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

The food quality, and speed and friendliness of service were average, nothing outstanding. Example: the taco salad didn't come in a taco shell (like it does everywhere else on the planet) but in a regular dish, with oddly red-colored taco shell fragments (strips) mixed in. Not what we expected.
Service was - despite the place not being full at our time of visiting - on the slow side (my ice tea refill took a good 15 minutes after our server told me she would bring it). You definitely pay for the view and not for the quality, the place is on the pricey side.

On the other hand, if you can get a window seat, the view is great, especially with kids - otters, sea lions, tons of birds, interesting boats, its all there.

If you can't get a window seat, I recommend going elsewhere.

Henderson, Nevada
“Food was average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

El Torito's was an okay restaurant. Nothing special and the portions were not as big as most Mexican restaurants we have eaten at.

Visited September 2013