“Pretty good food, slow service”
Review of Indian Summer

Indian Summer
Ranked #244 of 312 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place was hopping the Friday night we were there. Well, at least it was outside with the music and hookah lounge. Inside we were the only diners. Plus they started tearing the room down around us while we were eating so they could have a DJ and dance floor later on.
The service started out good enough but slowed down considerably as time went on. I guess there was only a couple of guys to take care of us and the crowd outside. Guess who got the better service? Yeah...not us. It was friendly though, and we weren't in any hurry, so no real complaints there.
However the food was pretty decent, in my opinion. I ordered the rogan josh (lamb) full meal which I thought was excellent; my husband got the tandoori chicken full meal, which was actually still moist and really tasty. The best thing about my meal was actually a side of lentils. Not sure what all they did to it but I couldn't stop eating it! Also there was a mango dressing on my little side salad that was quite nice.
I ended with some kheer which was good, but nothing out of this world.
All in all one of the better meals of our trip, despite the place being turned into a dance floor around us.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Despite a positive review from diners from "the curry capital of the UK" I can say with certainty that this was the worst dining experience that I have had during an otherwise positive US trip.
With a 'korma' hotter than a vindaloo and a tikka saltier than the adjacent ocean, you would assume that this would be the low point of my evening.. However, the lack of apology when i was overcharged and not served the food that I had ordered combined with the revalation that the chef was "not working" that evening resulted in a unacceptable dining experience. According to locals, the owner of this restaurant also owns the nearby Crabby Joe's on Fishermans Wharf. I would stay clear of this too.

2  Thank mammaleper
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I are from Glasgow, Scotland - the curry capital of the UK. This restaurant surpassed our expectations. The starter and main courses were excellent; the nan bread was light and fluffy as was the rice. Don't allow the interior of the restaurant put you off. Staff were extremely courteous and efficient. Great value for money.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Arrived in Monterey after a long drive up the coast. Seven friends and I visited the restaurant wanting a nice meal. It was far from this. We ordered poppadoms and were offered ketchup with it; it took a long time for our food to come; one of our friends never got his meal; our naan bread came after we'd finished our food; side dishes were missing; I couldn't have a bottle of beer because my boyfriend 'had the last cold one'.

When we decided to cut our losses, settle up and go elsewhere to finally get our friend some dinner, the bill took ages to come. When it did, we'd been charged for the side dishes that we hadn't received, as well as for extra items we'd never asked for. I told the waiter about this and he rudely challenged me as if I wasn't telling the truth. He was extremely patronising and obnoxiously informed us that Indian Summer has got a very good reputation in Monterey - I fail to believe how this could be possible.

The food we had was either bland and tasteless or extremely salty and was not at all authentic Indian cuisine. I could have dealt with this had the service not been some of the worst I've experienced.

4  Thank EmmaLouise1984
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Got a recommendation from a local citizen and was not disappointed. Food was excellent and service very good. Naan was freshly made as were all the dishes. It is a little hard to find but with a little effort we found it pretty much right away.