“A memorable experience!!”

Chris' Fishing Trips & Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer full service guided Family Friendly Fishing & Whale Watching tours year around in the third largest deep submarine canyon in the world. Our skippers are known for their ability to find Gray whales, Killer wWhales, Dolphins, Turtles, Porpoises and more! We also offer Burials at Sea.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have to admit...I was thinking this would just be an excuse to get out on the water in a boat, something I haven't done for quite a long while. But it was SO much more! It was wonderful to be out on the ocean for sure, but we began seeing wildlife right away beginning with the sea lions as we left the dock. Then there were numerous sightings of dolphins and then....the whales! The humpback whales were at the peak of their migration south and we saw numerous instances of them spouting plumes, surfacing including glimpses of their tales as they plunged into their dives.

The captain shared a number of truly fascinating factoids about the whales including various historical tidbits, etc. and I particularly appreciated his relaxed conversational style, nothing "canned" about his narrative. He also worked Diligently to position our boat in proximity to the on-the-move pods time and time again as they obviously understand well their patterns, etc., including how long it takes for them to surface again after making one of their deep dives. So I feel that our time on the water was truly maximized as a result of his efforts and myself and our fellow travelers all ooh'd and ahhh'd almost continually given all the activity surrounding us. The rocky Monterey coastline is also SO gorgeous!

I worried I might have bundled up too much re: the multiple layers of clothing but, once out on the ocean, was thankful I had done just that as it was Chilly indeed (and I was mercifully cozy) -- so DO dress warmly depending on time of day + time of year. We took the 1:30 boat.

Overall my friend and I agreed this was a true once-in-a-lifetime experience and one we'll each always look back on fondly. Hats off to the professionalism of the crew, we had an altogether Delightful and fascinating experience....!

1  Thank SoloSightseer
There are newer reviews for Chris' Fishing Trips & Whale Watching

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

This cruise was the only one with availability the day we needed, had a slightly shorter time out and was the smallest boat so we weren't originally enthusiastic but it ended up being perfect. The smaller vessel could maneuver better than the bigger boats, 2-1/2 hours was plenty of time and we saw loads of whales and sea life plus it was less expensive than the other operators. Great trip!

1  Thank walkroll
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We chose Chris's whale watching tours as they were the longest established and also the cheapest whale watching tours on the pier in monterey. On boarding the boat I was a little worried as a rival company were boarding just opposite us on a much bigger, newer boat leaving at the same time but my husband assured me it was better to be closer to the water in case we were lucky enough to see whales?!?!
About 30 minutes in to our 3 hour trip I got worried we weren't going to see anything other than dolphins & sea-lions but I had been telling the kids it's very difficult to see whales etc so they wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't.
I needn't have worried....we were lucky enough to be on the morning trip 7th November and witnessed the feeding frenzy with hundreds of seals, birds and numerous humpback whales..it truly was a once in a lifetime encounter. We enjoyed it so much we almost booked the afternoon trip when we got back but it was very cold!!
We were told by other whale watchers on the boat that had been on trips before that this was a special sight to see which we realised when we saw footage our skipper had taken that morning on the news on tv that night.
Fantastic trip...defin recommend & the much more expensive boat was beside us the whole time and my husband was right it was much better closer to the action!

3  Thank Louisemcc
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My son in law and grandson are frequent fishermen and Enjoy going on the fishing trips. I met Chris and he is very Passionate about the Whales and sea life, as am I. He had recorded (that morning) Humpback whales, sea lions, seals and a few Orcas that had passed under his Boat. There was an abundance of anchovies that they were all feeding on. It was Amazing to see. It was too late to go out to witness this once in a Lifetime experience. I will definitely be going on a boat trip with them. Maybe I'll do some Fishing?

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Despite some reservations, my wife really wanted to go, so I relented, mainly to please her, as I really did not expect much. Boy was I wrong. The boat was actually a deep sea fishing boat but well cleaned and maintained. We had just enough narration to insure our safety and information about the whales but without interruption of the enjoyment of the trip. It was a 3 hour tour, (no movie star or inept deckhand, but references and jokes are welcome, and you can hum the tune), 1 hour to get out to the whale area, about an hour whale watching, and an hour to get back. When we boarded we noticed a larger excursion boat across from us, but our boat, abet smaller, put us closer to the water and gave us a more exciting view. In any case once we got out to the whale grounds, we were met by not a few whales, but what must have been over a 100 Humpbacks, all blowing, arching, and flipping their tails at us. There were also packs of seals as well (Humpbacks don't eat seals). It was a spectactular sight. From what we were told it was quite unusual to see this many but it has been like this for weeks. Some of the whales surfaced around 50 feet from the boat and we could see the barnacles on their fins. We really enjoyed the trip and would highly recommend it. Some other details: Dress warmly as it is 10-20 degrees cold on the water, especially when going and returning from the sighting area as the boat is moving around 15 mph (I'm a landlubber and measured it on my portable GPS). There is an inside cabin area that will shield you from the wind if you wish. We went on a calm day but it can be rough at times. so don't forget to take ginger or motion sickness pills if you are prone to motion sickness. And finally, don't forget your camera and binoculars if you have them. I would highly recommend this trip with this vendor.

1  Thank GymAW