“There is not enough parking”
Review of El Castell Motel

El Castell Motel
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern California
“There is not enough parking”
Reviewed April 4, 2009

I didn't pay that much for the motel, so I wasn't expecting that much from it. Most of the cleanliness issues that were described elsewhere seem to have been taken care of.

I do have one major complaint (which I why I am writing this review, having checked in only 20 minutes ago). There is not enough parking!!! I'm not even talking about just being able to park relatively in front of my room. Every space was occupied, and doing a rough count of all the rooms versus all of their parking spaces, there is not enough parking for every two rooms to park one car. Completely unacceptable. We had to park out in front and drag our stuff in after driving for 9 hours to get here.

The Wifi seems to work well enough, however : )

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Grahaminator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Denver
Reviewed February 18, 2009

This had to be the most uncomfortable motel I have ever stayed.
After reviewing the other Reviews, LISTEN TO THEM

The Beds were springy & very uncomfortable. Less than cheap beding, sheets, blankets
The Continental Breakfast was a joke and the Pool was not operational.

This is a place is for desperate people that has no other Hotel/Motel to go to.
I will certainly be sharing this story with priceline.

We paid $39 per night and we felt so ripped off!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rwestagard
Ontario
Reviewed February 14, 2009

We were there for one night and it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. The room had been updated and had new granite tile in the bathroom, which was nice, but didn't change the dirty hand marks on the door, or the general grubbiness of the place. The bar fridge seal was gone, so the door didn't close properly and the back window seemed like it was prime for a break and enter. It was in a fairly seedy neighbourhood, so the back window did worry me a bit more than in other motels.

The neighbours partied for hours and we were afraid to complain because it seemed so out of control. When the police came, some people left, but then the "banging of the headboard" started. Ugh!

I was relieved to have no bedbugs, but we just got the heck out of there. On the way out I noticed the pool was under repair, so if we'd decided to stay, it would not have been an option.

As a person who's stayed in her share of budget motels, this is the second worst. The only reason it isn't the worst is because I didn't get bed bug bites.

No wonder the guy at the front desk looked so resigned.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BRYtar
Fresno, ca
Reviewed February 9, 2009

The room we got smelled terrible and the door enrties and doors were dirty! they looked as if they had never been clean! the smell was unbearable so we asked to change rooms. The second room was better, just averge. One of the beds was extreamy hard, and they have this marble like tile all in the enry way to the bathroom and all inside the bathroom. This results in a very slippery floor once someone showers. We had to put towels on the whole bathroom floor. Also it if extreamy cold so imagine getting up in the night to go use the bathroom and stepping on that!If you want a plain average room that may or maynot be good, this is your hotel. I would not stay again though!

• Liked — Not to far from aquarium. only about 5 min
  • Disliked — not as clean and camfortable as i would have liked. and the room we got was very small for a family with 3 younger children!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lcruz82
melbourne
Reviewed October 2, 2008

This motel was recommended by the Visitor Centre for my young family. It was a nightmare - room 202 had terrible bed bugs. I put the children in bed (a 4 year old and a 5 month old) and then a few hours later when I got into the other bed I noticed a bug on the pillow. I then looked closer and there were lots of bed bugs of all sizes in the bed with the kids. We quickly packed up and did get a refund with no problem and moved to the Quality Inn accross the street which I would highly recommend.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vickiandjim
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I put the "do not disturb" sign up and went to lunch. I didn't want
anyone in my room when I was not there. When I came back, the maid had come into my room and moved around my stuff.

That is such major B.S.

I freaked out on the maid, the front desk, and the maid manager. They did nothing about it claiming that the maid did not speak English. They then told me that the maid had worked there for a few years. A few years and didn't know English or at least the words "do not disturb."

This hotel sucks so bad it is unbelievable.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monterey Bay
Reviewed September 27, 2008

First, Priceline tried to charge me twice the rate the room was actually worth. I had to fight to get a refund. The carpet was filthy, the front door was so dirty that it looked like it had never been wiped down. There was a cigarette burn on the phone,, and was also dirty. I have been in other 2 star hotels, and this was substandard. We couldn't take staying in the room any longer, and left a day early.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room was Filthy
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family