“Clean and conveninet”

El Castell Motel
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for a noght while visiting the neighboring attractions. The hotel is very basic, but this is what we were looking for. The room and shower were clean and fresh. Breakfast rich and tasty.

The one negative point I have - they did not have a rollaway bed, which meant all three kids had to share one queen bed. Not the end of the world, but you'd expect a hotel to be prepared for such a request.

Still, bottom line - recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 6, 2013

this place was fine for a quick stop- room was clean- bed was comfortable- staff was very friendly. It was very close to the airport and other amenities around town. At $69.99 you cant go wrong.
The only complaint was my closet doo rhad been kicked in by someone and had a huge hole on the bottom that no one had repaired.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The El Castell is a landmark motel in North Monterey. The staff is professional and the room was spotless. Brand new bed and bedding apparently made the rest excellent overall. The disco next door kept me up two out of three nights. The t.v. was good to watch at that time. The pool is a perfect lap pool at a perfect temperature, although no one swept or cleaned around the pool for the 3 days I was there, bandaids, stir sticks, coffee cups, newspapers, and more were around the pool from the night I arrived to the morning I left. The water seemed clean enough and I truly enjoyed it and will return because of it.
The breakfast bar is elaborate for carbohydrate friendly eating habits, otherwise, check out the fine cafes everywhere along the area for a real breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank blueskydove
Reviewed June 12, 2013

During our stay we could sleep well, the room was clean and had enough space por 3 people. We stayed in a two queen bed room. Breakfast was good if we compare to other motels and hotels that we had. Unfortunately, like all the places we´ve stayed in, it had carpet on the floor, which I think it is very bad for alergic people.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed in this motel for one night. I was check in around 10:00 pm. It was cold outside and I asked if I can get inside the room. The front desk guy unhappy to open the door for me and didn't let me know the door is opened for me. I waiting for few second until I push the door when I came to the room he already back to the desk. The room is ok, the shower is good, everything is more standard. The continental breakfast is ok.

Room Tip: Choose the room far from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Everything done professionally. Clean, nice rooms, quiet, great attitude at front desk. Good breakfast and nice convenient parking. We loved the easy in and out and easy parking and access to the rooms. Within minutes to everything we wanted to see.

Room Tip: Looks like one of the better hotels in the area. Everything is in tip top condition and beds are com...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ravi B
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Lovely tidy and comfy motel. 10 minutes from Carmel in the car. Really enjoyed our stay here, and we thought the breakfast was great! Loved making our own waffles!
The only negative is the club next door, we too had room 133! We were told a fib by the receptionist, she told us it was the only room left and it is close to the road so can be a little noisy, but the club is the problem! My husband was out the front having his evening cigarette and noted the name of the club, he promptly found the clubs web address using the motels free wi fi, he then emailed the club to turn the music down, and they replied straight away and turned down the volume!!

• Stayed: April 2013