“Exceptional Date Dinner w/ Fabulous View”

Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
Reserve a Table
Mon, 6/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #14 of 327 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had dinner here tonight, and took the server’s recommendations for our main course of fresh caught Monterey Bay ling cod laid over a bed of saffron rice, and paired it with Santa Lucia Highlands Viognier. We started with oysters on the half shell and ended with the best creme brûlée I’ve ever had, and I eat a lot of creme brûlée’s! Steve, our server was exceptional, and his team Roberto and Nishal. From the food, setting, recommendations/pairings and timing, the whole experience felt 5 star. Highly recommend, and thank you Steve and Schooners for a memorable night that we loved enough to download trip advisor and write our first review. Two thumbs up!

1  Thank 908krystaa
themontereyplaza, Managing Director at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 908krystaa,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at Schooners! Thank you for your glowing review of the wine selection, entrees, and crème brûlée (a staff favorite!). We will pass along your kind words to Steve, Roberto, and Nishal and will ensure that they are recognized. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,048)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’m 64 and have dined in some of our finest establishments. This is among the best. I ordered the lobster with filet mignon. Delicious. My six companions had equally great experiences. I highly recommend.

1  Thank tomdC3286SV

Dear tomdC3286SV,

We are thrilled to read your glowing review of your dining experience at Schooners! We will pass along your kind comments to our culinary team and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ate here for lunch 3 days in a row... wish I could have had a few more days so I could try other options, but the seabass BLT, fish & chips and the seafood salad were all really yummy!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me start by saying that I have never written a review for anything, ever. This dining experience however is screaming for one. ----- My wife and I took a leisurely drive up the California coast and booked an overnight stay at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa which houses Schooners restaurant. In trying to decide where to eat we can almost always depend on the TripAdvisor reviews. This one however, failed miserably. How Schooners got the Certificate Of Excellence is far beyond my comprehension. Our server was polite and decent enough. Nothing special there. The issue was the food, and oh yes, the view. For a restaurant that touts its views of Monterey Bay and the Pacific Ocean as magnificent, you'd think that someone would have cleaned up the dried, six foot long seagull "bomb" that was running down one of the windows. With that said, the food. We ordered the Angry Prawns, Drunken Octopus, and Clam Chowder for appetizers. For mains it was steak and the roasted chicken with a caesar salad. Where to start? Let's go through them one by one. The Angry Prawns were...angry? Really? Zero flavor and we left half of them on the plate. If they were so angry, you'd think they'd have been spicy or cooked in some sort of wine sauce/reduction. Nothing. The Drunken Octopus had a reduction sauce that was bitter and overcooked (burned). More on the "sauce" later. And if it's drunken, where's the wine or sherry? Some butter, or anything would be good. The Clam Chowder was decent but definitely nothing to write home about. The mains - My wife's steak was cooked as ordered but had that bitter/burned reduction on it... again. Seriously? My chicken was overcooked (dry), and had that same, wait for it, bitter reduction sauce on it. Why would you ruin three completely different dishes with the same disgusting "sauce"? Was it something we said? And oh yeah, if you're thinking you can't go wrong a caesar salad, forget it. A caesar is pretty basic and they failed on that too. Zero flavor, zero garlic, zero anchovy, (you're right next to the ocean, remember?) no nothing. By the end of the meal, the bitter aftertaste of the octopus, steak and chicken was so bad that I was looking for anything to eat or drink to get it out of my mouth. And the best part? We did it all for the "pleasure" of paying over $153. (My recollection of exactly how many plates we had to eat might be a bit faulty, but there's no doubt about how much we paid). Bottom line is, if you're looking for a memorable meal, look elsewhere. You'll be remembering this one for all the wrong reasons. Sorry to do this to you, Schooners. But you deserve it.

1  Thank Trail529875
themontereyplaza, Director of Food & Beverage at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Greetings Trail529875 and thank you for the feedback of your recent visit to Schooners.

We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations, and apologize that we did not reach this goal during your visit. We offer our sincere apologies that you were not satisfied with the food, and that your view was marred by the markings on the window; we do our best to keep the windows as clear as possible. Please rest assured that we will review your comments with our chef, as we are always looking for ways to better serve every diner. I would like to learn more about your experience and invite you to reach out to me, Darin Grohs, Food & Beverage Director, at dgrohs@montereyplazahotel.com.
Thank you again for your candid feedback and I hope to thank you in person in the near future.

Darin Grohs
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hit the bar twice during our stay at the hotel. The appetizers were quality, and the cocktails were good (says my husband).
Service was always polite, but could be a little sporadic. Prices were of course rather high. But they were accomdating. I was pregnant and not feeling any of their food and just wanted some bread (i saw in an online photo), and that's served over in the restaurant side and my server kindly brought me a basket of it. :-) They often have the doors to the patio area open that is on the water so you get a nice breeze.

Date of visit: May 2019
themontereyplaza, Managing Director at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Chevi H,

Thank you for your review of your experience at Schooners. We are glad that you enjoyed the appetizers and cocktails, and extend a belated Happy Mother’s Day to you. We will pass along your comments regarding the sporadic service to our team, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Monterey!