“Best single dish of our California trip”

Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 305 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed at the hotel where this restaurant is, and had a couple of excellent breakfasts there. But the best of all was a pasta dish at dinner one night: house-made fusilli with sun-dried tomatoes and lobster meat. I meant to go back and have it again but never got to. If you eat here, order that!!

1  Thank HealthyFoodies
There are newer reviews for Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed June 7, 2014

The seafood was ok but the lobster Mac Cheese was revolting. Great views from the Restaurant. Breakfast is much better.

Monterey_Plaza, Director of Food & Beverage at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Kamlesh,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experiences at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. I’m pleased to read you enjoyed Breakfast and the views. However, I’m disappointed to learn about your below average experience at dinner. Please accept my sincere apologies that the food did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide an excellent dining experience. Thus, I would value the opportunity to discuss your dining experience further. If you could contact me at 831-645-4004 or by email at danea@montereyplazahote.com, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Awful. Nice food but I am sitting here as I write the review and I might as well be in a sports bar. It is loud and abrasive. Whatever the food is like it's lost because of the atmosphere. There is probably a nicer place to sit but we weren't offered it.

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your dining experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. While I was pleased to read you did enjoy the food, I am disappointed the atmosphere soured your experience. I am sorry that you did not have a good overall experience.
We are addressing your feedback with our staff.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally, if you could please contact me at 831-645-4004 or by email at danea@montereyplazahotel.com. I hope we can speak soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Loved Schooners. Our waiter Dominick was amazing. His suggestions were spot on. His offer to treat us to dessert since it was our 40th Anniversary was so heartwarming. I only wish I had the room to accept. I could go on forever about how delicious the food was, but if you're here looking for a place in Monterey to eat, just go to Schooners and you'll experience it yourself. The baby beet salad,, the artichoke chowder, the grilled artichokes & the lobster w/fusilli was the reason we had no room for that dessert. We're back on the east coast almost 2 weeks already and I'm still craving that artichoke soup. NY has thousands of excellent restaurants and I have never had a more excellent soup. I will spend many, many hours in my kitchen trying to recreate it, but doubt I will do it justice. With just 2 days in Monterey I am so grateful Schooners was a place we experienced.

2  Thank ars215
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We went there to celebrate my husband's birthday. Even though I made a reservation in advance through the hotel concierge (we were guests at the hotel), we got the worst table at the restaurant, dark, at the very end corner of the dinning room. After another couple left, we requested to be moved to a table next to the window and the Captain kindly agreed to it.
We ordered the lobster and steak plate to share with 2 sides and it was more than disappointing. The lobster and steak were cold, the mac and cheese had no taste at all and the grilled artichokes were dry and flavorless. We requested to take those away and ordered a couple of different dishes from the menu that were good and nothing else.
We were traveling with my little son so I had to park the stroller next to the table and the waitress did complain and made faces the whole time because of it.
At the end, we did receive a free "birthday ice cream" and… the check for a different table.
Not a nice restaurant nor service, we should've gone to another place to celebrate.

Monterey_Plaza, Director of Food & Beverage at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your dining experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed, after celebrating your husband’s birthday at Schooners. I’m sorry that the food did not meet your expectations and that the service did not meet our standards. I assure you that your comments have been addressed.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally discuss your experience. If you could please contact me at 831-645-4004 or by email at danea@montereyplazahotel.com, I hope connect soon.