Steinbeck's Spirit of Monterey Wax Museum
Ranked #51 of 105 things to do in Monterey
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I am not sure if it was the intended response but we found it hilarious. Literally crying with laughter. We all had a great time!

4  Thank Adset
There are newer reviews for Steinbeck's Spirit of Monterey Wax Museum

Reviewed June 13, 2013

John Steinbeck, along with Nathanial Hawthorne, my favorite American novelist, wrote the brilliant Nobel winning Grapes of Wrath, what for me is the single best American work of fiction not to be understood too seriously introducing the most compellingly evil female character in American literature in Cathy/Kate of my singularly favorite work of its kind: East of Eden.

It's chockablock with brilliant generational interaction, incredibly ironic self parodying and otherwise brilliant dialogue. Consider the line capturing an old whiner's bitter lament for nostalgic days of yore: Ah, but strawberries will never again taste so sweet and the thighs of women have lost their clutch". Now that's wickedly funny and some folk think of Steinbeck as a melancholy writer. I've gorged on virtually everything he wrote and find him to be an author of considerable humor, and one who, for a man, most effectively could get into a woman's head and heart.

For such an American icon, a magnificent artist, one both for the world and the ages, to have his name carried so disrespectfully and in such unimaginative poor taste is both incomprehensible and pathetic. That the primary attraction in town which seeks to remember his legacy more suitably is not given more public and fiscal support to be more effectively representative is sad.

For a silly place like this other one to exist is not the problem. People will always be attracted to a wide range of diversions of varying value. That it prostitutes the name of John Steinbeck, in his Monterey, is an embarrassment to the Salinas Valley. To get off my indignant high horse for a moment, not that John Steinbeck was all that adverse to the female practitioners of such related proclivities.

1  Thank preglad
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My fiance and i have been to Monterey about 8 times, we've always seen this "museum" but have never gone in. Well we wondered in to tgectiny mall to buy some ice cream, and heard voices saying random things. It was 3 manequins talking up a storm behind a giant fishnet. I thought it was free. No one was around. Then some old lady says "oh hi if you wanna go, it'll be $8.50 each blah blah" whatever we gave in and said sure. Tge "no refund" sign shouldve been the first hint! We walked down the stairs and it was all dark and smelled so old so bad like mold. You hsve to hit buttons to make the "wax" figures talk. This was BS ! Sound was horrible. Manequins were ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING!! even after theyre done talking they do no stop moving!!! Seeing on tge back of tge heads move if absolutely disturbing!! I only last about 5-10 minutes before i decided to push all of the buttons to light the place up and get the hell out if there. It would be nice if it wasnt so pitch dark and hundreds of manequins were stsnding there talking, not talking but moving. This pkace is bad and needs an update! Its a trap if you dint know better. I would not want anyone to experience this nightmare!!!! Please do not waste your money! Abosolutely terrifying, boring, and it stinks!!!

2  Thank bthatsfgirl
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon the wax museum and it was cheap (~$8 each) so we decided why not. We thought it was fun and interesting to look at the different characters and settings. It did seem somewhat dated and old but it added to the appeal for us. We actually liked the rustic feel. Also, I liked the end of the museum that had stuff about Cannery row by John Steinbeck. I enjoyed seeing Doc and the boys/prostitues mentioned in the book. Maybe not for young kids but for adults looked for entertainment.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I really didn't want to go but our 11 year-old daughter talked us into it. It cost us $45+ for our family of six to go in. It was HORRIBLE! Where do I start? Dark. Smelly. Poor sound. Lame animatronics. Couldn't wait for it to finish. Wouldn't have been worth it at half the price. Save your money and pass on this one!

1  Thank Brickbuilder