“Great restaurant, excellent location and views”
Review of Fish Hopper

Fish Hopper
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish Hopper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 301 Restaurants in Monterey
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prescott Street
Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
Description: The FishHopper * Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row,within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fine shops.The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular panoramic views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood,certified Angus steaks,pastas and live shellfish.Some of our menu favorites are the fresh abalone from the Monterey Bay, the “Island Sampler”(fresh seared Ahi tuna from Kona served with coconut shrimp and a crab cake), Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab available year round.2010 West Coast 1st place winner for our famous clam chowder soup.In addition to our fabulous menu indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations. While enjoying a delicious meal watch frolicking sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.
Denver
“Great restaurant, excellent location and views”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Had lunch here with my wife. We split appetizers and tried the clam chowder. Loved it! It was also nice to sit by the window and watch the ocean while we dined.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
“ForTourist's”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Your usual Tourist place nothing special, great view though.
I had the sand debs, average, just nothing to brag about.

Sydney, Australia
“I'm not a big fan of tacky touristy restaurants, but Fish Hopper was a pleasant surprise. Located in Monterey's...”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I'm not a big fan of tacky touristy restaurants, but Fish Hopper was a pleasant surprise. Located in Monterey's Cannery Row it only made sense to go out for seafood. While the prices were at a touristy high, the food itself was not that bad. I had the crab crusted salmon which was pretty good, until I tried my brother's lamb with scallops and my cousin's risotto with crab stuffed prawns. The lamb was delicious and risotto very hearty. And it true tacky touristy form, we shared a $15 Fire Bucket - an insane alcoholic drink with 3 huge straws. I would have given the scene a 5 because the restaurant is situated right on the Monterey Bay, but I give it a 4 because of the tacky tourist drinking insane alcoholic drinks (such as ourselves).

West Hollywood
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST CLAM CHOWDER EVER!”
Reviewed January 28, 2010

As we were walking on Cannery Row looking for a place to eat, we got a free sample of their Clam Chowder and that was it, I was hooked! It was the best clam chowder I ever had or ever will have! We also had the dungeness crab which was so fresh and yummy. For our drink, we tried their "Bucket of Fire" which came out in a big glass with fire in the middle of the drink and was more than enough to share between the both of us. Service and food was so amazing that we had to eat there again the next day before we left. For lunch we had their Open Face Hot Crab Sandwich, again amazing. It was so full of crab yummy goodness that went very well with none other than their clam chowder. If you're in Monterey, you must visit Fish Hopper.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“They don't care about the customer!”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

The food was mediocre and overpriced. Granted the view on the heated outdoor patio was fabulous and the sound of the crashing surf delightful, but, that is no excuse to not be concerned about the customers experience. My wife's chowder came to the table cold, a few minutes later a neighboring table received a bowl of piping hot chowder. My crab was tasteless and waterlogged. The worst thing was at the beginning--one of my oysters was spoiled--while I immediately tasted that it was bad and spit it out after biting into it, I became extremely ill and vomited numerous times later in the evening-- welcome to Monterrey! I told the bus staff, the waiter and the manager on duty (who was circling around "asking how everyone's meals were") about receiving the rotten oyster. The only response was from the manager who asked if I was given another one to replace the rotten one! I had expected that there would have been an apology at the very least-- and if the place had any class or soul the oysters should not have been charged to my bill. This place struck me as the type of place that could care less about the individual customer because no matter what they do, because of their location, people will still come to eat there. I would possibly recommend having drinks on the deck to enjoy the view, but to not eat the food. This place was an overpriced mockery of what a decent restaurant should be.