“I have hated to eat seafood for as long as I can remember but this restaurant was recommended to us when we were in the...”
Review of Fish Hopper

Fish Hopper
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish Hopper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 305 Restaurants in Monterey
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prescott Street
Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
Description: The FishHopper * Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row,within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fine shops.The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular panoramic views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood,certified Angus steaks,pastas and live shellfish.Some of our menu favorites are the fresh abalone from the Monterey Bay, the “Island Sampler”(fresh seared Ahi tuna from Kona served with coconut shrimp and a crab cake), Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab available year round.2010 West Coast 1st place winner for our famous clam chowder soup.In addition to our fabulous menu indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations. While enjoying a delicious meal watch frolicking sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I have hated to eat seafood for as long as I can remember but this restaurant was recommended to us when we were in the Monterey area. They gave us samples of their clam chowder which is absolutely to die for !!! Fantastic! I ordered steak and hubby ordered fish. The kids had a variety and loved all of it. I tried a piece of hubby's fish and it was gorgeous!!! Would def recommend this place - the restaurant juts out over the water (I think it's stilted but it was dark so not 100% sure) and the service is great.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
“Highly overrated”
Reviewed November 14, 2007

We chose to dine here during a conference, based on TripAdvisor's #4 ranking. I must say the restaurant is highly overrated. The view was nice, but that's about it. The macadamia-crusted tilapia I ate was edible only because of the thin veil of sauce covering it. The sauce-free portions didn't taste fresh whatsoever, but I ate them because I was in a hurry and very hungry. The server barely spoke english, and though he smiled a lot, I would've just confused him had I suggested that the fish wasn't fresh.

If you want a beer and a nice view but lame, overpriced food, feel free to go to the Fish Hopper.

Portland, Oregon
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

My husband and I ate lunch here during our visit to the aquarium and stroll along Cannery Row. The location is the best part about this restaurant. The service was not very good and the food was only okay. I would recommend finding another restaurant.

Miami
“GREAT Place for Dinner”
Reviewed August 22, 2007

We were in the Cannery Row area trying to figure out where to eat, and they handed us a sample of the clam chowder from the Fish Hopper. WOW! That was a no brainer after we tried that clam chowder. Little did we know what we were in for! We sat in the terrace outside with a view to the ocean that was SPECTACULAR! We ordered appetizers and two dinner plates for the four of and that was plenty. The portions are quite generous. Although not cheap, it's not ridiculous either (seafood is ALWAYS expensive) and it's definitely worth the trip. Thank God I saved a napkin from the restaurant and have already planned my next visit in October.

Charleston, SC
“We loved it!”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

My friend and I went there for lunch and had the chef's appetizer and a salad. It was wonderful. We liked it so much we brought our husbands back that evening and they loved it too. We really enjoyed the grilled artichokes, clam chowder, salmon and halibut. We will definitely go there again when we return to Monterey - especially after the horrible food at the Sardine Factory! ESL