“A great find”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Loved the breakfast waited a little bit but not to bad. I grew up in a small town so a little restaurant dosent bother me i think it actually makes it homier. Both me and my boyfriend got the crab Benedict and it was so good and the hash browns were just right. would eat there again.

2  Thank clutzygrl12

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 18, 2008

They only serve breakfast and lunch, but their food is inexpensive and the portions are really big. My favorite breakfast there is the banana pancakes.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Great value -- good, solid breakfast and lunch place.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We arrived a bit early, so we headed to the beach to watch the sun rise before heading back. We were one of the first ones in the door, and the waitor seated us quickly and got us coffee and water within a minute.

The menu is diverse. I wound up ordering the Cinnamon french toast with a side of corned beef hash. Both were the best I've ever had. My fiance had an artichoke omelet with blueberry muffin and pronounced it the best breakfast she had ever had. I found the muffin to be a bit like cake right out of the oven, just a touch doughy, but very good nontheless.

Within 30 minutes of our arrival, the place was packed, so it is best to arrive at opening time.

We came back a few days later, and I had blueberry pankakes with a side of corned beef hash and my fiance repeated her order of the previous visit. The muffin was better this time, as it had cooled and had a more muffin like consistancy. The CBH and artichoke omelet were the same as before, superb. The pankakes were good, but I'll do the french toast next time.

Service was great both times, our water and coffees kept full, and we felt at ease and at home, within minutes of arriving. Their is no doubt we will go back next time we are in the area.

5  Thank VaderSS
Reviewed September 29, 2006

My favorite breakfast, world-wide, is served at the Old Monterey Cafe. This tiny restaurant is smack in the middle of downtown on Alvarado St. It's open for breakfast and lunch, and weekend mornings will have a line out the door and down the sidewalk by 7am. Get there early...the food is worth it! The first time I went to this restaurant was in '96 or '97...since then, the staff hasn't rotated that much because there are still familiar faces every time I go back. My favorite dish the Monte Cristo sandwich (which is difficult to find in the first place) with a great cup of hot chocolate, piled high with whipped cream. Though I never order anything else, I try to steal a bite from everyone else's plate and I have yet to find something untasty at the cafe. The staff are quick and friendly, but space is tight, so don't be surprised to start a conversation with the neighboring table.

6  Thank tacticalpepsi