“Monterey Fish House”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Whenever I am in the Monterey Bay Area, I always eat at this Restuarant because of the excellent service & quality of food. The Fish Dishes are always freshly made and a good value for Money.

One needs to make a reservation due to its popularity any night of the week.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went to eat lunch right after our Whale watching trip. We ate on a Friday around 1:30 PM, I called for a reservations but they just told us to come over. Parking is a bit of a headache, partly is due to the constructions going on and the popularity of the place.

The dining room was pretty full but not completely. The service was fantastic and enthusiastic, which makes it for an enjoyable dining experience.

The food was very good except for the NE Clam Chowder, I had it better at other place. Not bad but not the way I like it. I like mine with lots of clams and a bit thicker, their was thinner and not many clams.

The main dishes were very good, my wife had the Broiled Mahi-Mahi special of the day, the fish was very good and moist as it should be.

I was undecided between the Crab Cakes and the Baby Octopus, the server switched the Scallops for the Octopus that was part of one of their specials. The Crab cake was very good with not much celery which I think that is the way they should be done, there was a lot of moist crab and cooked to perfection. The grilled Baby Octopus were fantastic, I was warned that they could be chewy but these were not.

Be warned that the dishes come with vegetables and pasta, both were good too but for us it was a lot of food. We could not finish our plates and there was no room for desert, bummer I wanted to try their Crème Brulle.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were spending the night in Monterey on a 2 week tour of California, and asked our for a seafood recommendation at our hotel. This was their suggestion, and I will always remember the evening. The food was awesome! We are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, where oysters are a religion, but the grilled oysters at MFH were the best I have ever tasted. And they were HUGE! We also had grilled octopus that was out of this world. The cioppino was the best ever. We'll be back!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our first visit to the MFH. We stopped in on Mon 12/9 at @6pm without a reservation for a party of 2 and were seated immediately. The atmosphere is lively and bustling with friendly service. It was apparent that they have a lot of frequent fliers who were greeted warmly, and we hope to return often! We had the seafood cioppino and the spicy mussels and a bowl of chowder to share. The chowder was well flavored, but had an overwhelming smokiness that would have been more enjoyable if it was served piping hot instead of tepid. The wine selection is outstanding! A very simple approach-all bottles are avail by the glass at 1/4 of the bottle rate with a friendly price point.
The seafood dishes were very flavorful and of quality ingredients. The mussels were scrubbed clean, no beards and were huge with very fresh flavor in a sirachi hot sauce spiced sauce that had very balanced "heat". As for the cioppino, I prefer a non crab seafood stew and it delivered spot on, it was perfect! No room for dessert, maybe next time? In summary, intimate location, friendly service, great food, free parking and easy to get to outside the tourist area of Monterey!!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

First of all, make reservations in advance. The MFH is rather small and quite nondesript from the outside. However, lines forming out the door on a Monday night should indicate the quality of the food being served here. Even with a reservation, we had to wait for about ten minutes but the food and service was well worth the wait. The Cioppino, which I ate five different times during our vacation, was subperb as was my wife's seafood pasta meal. The most pleasant surprise of all was upon receiving our bill--for two of the best meals that we had ever experienced along with one beer, one ice tea and one dessert was much less than I had expected. How many times does one get to say that while on vacation? Not for a romantic meal as it is quite crowded and noisy. However, if you are in the area, experience what the locals know and most definitely treat yourself to a meal at the Monterey Fish House.

1  Thank judrose182