“Oak grilled oysters are awesome!!”

Monterey's Fish House
Ranked #7 of 301 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
OKLAHOMA CITY
“Oak grilled oysters are awesome!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

The oak grilled oysters were awesome! Also the crab cakes and scallops were delicious. Enjoyed the waiter - he was very helpful.

• Korean first
Arcadia, California
“A great locals restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The restaurant is very busy and reservations can lag a few minutes. Make sure you reserve. The fish was excellent and the Oak grilled oysters might be the best I have ever eaten. The wine list is very good, portions were large and deserts were fun and fairly priced. Well worth a visit.

Visited February 2013
Farnham
“Ok, but not great.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had read the rave reviews of this place and decided to give it a try. We booked a table for 8.00pm on a Tuesday night and when we arrived it was fairly busy. We shared a crab cake starter and for mains we both accepted the waiter's advice and went for one of the specials - the artichoke/linguine/scallops/prawns. The crab cake was ok. The main was no more than average. All the ingredients were fresh enough, but there was a touch too much fennel and the overall assessment was that this more like a canteen dish than something prepared by a chef at the top of his game. No magic. Reviewers who claim that this is the best in the area may well be right, but we have been fortunate to have eaten in better areas I guess. We also felt that it was overpriced at 93 dollars including a 20 dollar bottle of wine. The 3 dishes we had were not worth 73 dollars. As if to confirm that this place trades on its reputation, we watched with interest when the waiter turned away an irate out-of-town customer at 8.45 because by that time we were the only table and they wanted to close up and go home. (On the door it states that they are open until 9.30). Given that the location is not great to say the least, and the interior is rather basic, we thought that the food would be really something. It didn't live up to our expectations, which were probably too high in the first place.....

• Visited February 2013
Santa Clara
“WOW amazing food”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Okay so we went here on a recommendation from out hotel staff and we were amazed! When we walked in we noticed the small cramped seating but the place was alive. Wife ordered Snapper & I ordered Giant Eastern Scallops with linguini. HOLY COW, the scallops were huge! and prepared excellently. The linguini was a bit undercooked but it did not bother me one bit. We did notice that the wait staff were juggling tables, and a bit hard to get a hold of but we were able to grab their attention fairly easy when we needed assist. You must visit this place once if you never have before it will be worth the wait. Make your reservations ahead .

• Visited February 2013
Monterey, California
“Not sure how I feel about this place”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Came here for my husband's birthday because of the rave reviews. Knew to make reservations based on other comments, so we did. Our reservations were set for about the time they opened for dinner and it was already hopping. By the time we left, the line to be seated was out the door. Service was great - the amount of specials they had in addition to menu items was overwhelming - atmosphere - cramped, but cozy. My husband and I both ordered off the specials list...and I think I just regret my choice in selection. I ordered the Almond crusted Sole with a side of veggies...my husband, Almond crusted Swordfish. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be fried. Stupid of me, I know...but I just wasn't. The initial bite was quite tasty, but after a while, the grease took over and it wasn't enjoyable. I was really wishing about half-way through my meal that I had gotten it blackened. The next day and for about a week after, my husband and I both suffered digestive issues. Nothing too extreme, but enough to really put me off from picking this place over some place else. The food was good, I think if I were to go again, I would go with the crab ravioli or maybe something that wasn't fried.

Visited January 2013