“Enormous scallops”

Monterey's Fish House
Ranked #8 of 299 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jersey
“Enormous scallops”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This restaurant was quite full even though it was early in the evening and seemed to be popular with locals as well as tourists-always a good sign. I had the giant scallops with fettucine, a spcial of the night and they were excellent, poached in pernod and the pasta freshly made. My husband had roast baby octopus also very good. The waitress described so many specials that customers were asking how she could remember them all.
A great restaurant. Try it.

• Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
“we returned the next night”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

it was full, with a line up, that was good as we had opportunity to see what was being ordered by the happy rellshing customers. Also an overall view of the staff which was dun and speedy.
After 10 or was it more we eagerly awaited our chance to order,
followed recommendation , we decided to each order and share, which was our usual foodie sampling technique,
Home made fettucine was creamy al dente and frexh seafood flavored, Octopus slightly chewy but for our Asian Palate, spot on. The Fish should have arrived later, as the batter had absorbed the lemon juice, to be a little soggy.
Overall, a fine meal calling us to return the next night despite the manhy other eateries in the area

• Visited September 2012
Vancouver, B.C.
“Great Food”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Recommended by our hotel we decided to try the Fish House. Without reservations we had to wait a bit however it was worth the wait. We started with Crab Cakes that were amazing and our meals were blackened snapper which was a little too salty for me as I have cutback on salt however I did clean the plate and my wife had the lobster ravioli which she really enjoyed. Wine and wine selection was great. Service was excellent and yes being a full house and a smaller establishment it as a little noisy however well worth it. An enjoyable evening.

• Visited November 2012
Wareham, United Kingdom
“Clearly a restaurant well loved by the locals...and by us!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Went here on recommendation by our hotel reception as somewhere which served great seafood but which was not a tourist trap. They were absolutely right. We made a reservation even though it was mid week and I'm so glad we did. It was really busy when we arrived and the atmosphere was great. Seated after a quick drink at the bar. We both ordered from the extensive specials list we were talked through by our really knowledgable server. The calamari squid starter was delicious. way too big for one, so share if you want to enjoy your main course! The tuna steak dish and the scallops were really generous portions and the scallops were ginormous! Would definitely recommend this over the commercialised wharf area restaurants...but be sure to book!

1 Thank Jodie K
Dallas, TX
“Great seafood, but there's more to consider”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

There is no denying the seafood here is truly wonderful! The fish was cooked perfectly and the scallops tasted as though they had just been pulled from the sea and cooked special for me. (The sides were equally good.)
However, there are other factors to consider in a restaurant and the following is what prevented me from giving a full "five star" rating.
By all means, make a reservation unless you don't mind waiting. The restaurant is very small and very crowded (because the food is great). It's also pretty noisy although I have been in much noisier restaurants. (The ladies room was in serious need of some cleaning.) On a positive note, the host was attentive to those waiting for a table and the waiter was knowledgeable and available once we were seated, but he did not hover over us.
Last but not least, if you are traveling on a budget be sure to ask how much the special costs. I always do, but this one occasion I failed to ask and literally paid the price. I should have gone with an item directly from the menu that had the price listed. I have no doubt it would have been equally good. I sampled my friends halibut and it was as wonderful as my meal.
I would most definitely go to this restaurant again because the food is so good, but I would make sure I knew what I was going to pay for my meal before I ordered it.

• Visited October 2012