“Great food at an unexpected place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hula's Island Grill

Hula's Island Grill
Ranked #4 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bend
“Great food at an unexpected place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently ate at Hula's and were very pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. I was expecting something more basic, but was impressed with their selection of fish. In particular I was pleased that they adhere to the safe fish eating guide as supported by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I loved their Ono fish prepared Blackened Wasabi Style. The arugula salad was simple, but wonderful. I ate every last bite of my meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Massachusetts
“Good affordable food in Monterey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stopped here for dinner on a recent trip to Monterey. We were there in time for Happy Hour (half price drinks and $5) which was a nice bonus. We split an order of Samarai Beef Sticks which were flavorful and tender. The Blackened Wasabi Mahi Mahi was a bit overpowered by the wasabi cream sauce...it was hard to taste the fish underneath it. However, the Jawaiian Jerk Pork Plate was delicious: the pork was nicely seasoned and went well with the mango salsa.

The place has a casual, funky ambiance and and an overall good value.

Danville New Hampshire
“Loud but food is good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Seems to be a "hip" hang out place for younger people. It is a little dirty for my liking but the food was good. They have interesting menu choices.

Visited October 2012
Palo Alto, California
“Tiki UP Everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I love this place. First of all the place is a haven for Island decor! Love the over the top Tiki decorations. The food is amazing. I always get the fish. It is fresh and cooked with a variety of island inspired sauces. The ginger slaw is the best I have ever had....I could just eat a bowl of that! The tropical cocktails are great. Try to make one of the happy hour deals. We have been there with our small children and they like the food too and the staff is very accommodating, courteous and friendly. It is a short walk from Cannery Row. So, whenever we visit the the Aquarium with our family we stop by here for dinner, which has been 3 times in the last 3 months. This is now our favorite Monterey restaurant. The prices are very reasonable too.

This is

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, CA
“One of my favorite restaurants anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This place is the main reason I chose Monterey as the end point for a weekend trip up from LA. My second visit here after 3 years away didn't disappoint. Tried the shrimp tacos and Mai Tai the first time and even though it's a simple dish have not found any better since. Tried blackened wasabi Butterfish and a double zombie this time. Tasty and perfectly cooked. Side salad was even great. Pot pie served in a real flower pot for desert was enough for 3 people. It was before Halloween and the staff was in costume and really seemed to enjoy being there. Staff friendly and on top of things, food varied and good, strong drinks, fun atmosphere, reasonable prices, too bad there are only two of these places. Hope to be back.