“Seafood and Italian”
Review of Cafe Fina

Cafe Fina
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Fina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 315 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Del Monte Avenue
Description: Receiving rave reviews from both locals and its famous guests, Cafe Fina specializes in Italian seafood and features fresh local seafood, seasonal organic vegetables from the owner's ranch, fresh homemade pasta and a classic wood burning oven—the first in Monterey. Located on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, the restaurant boasts many fresh seafood items from which to choose. Steak, pizza, and many other non-seafood items are also available. In addition to its standard menu, Cafe Fina provides vegetarian, children’s and banquet menus. The restaurant is pet friendly and offers a doggie menu as well. With gorgeous views of the Monterey Bay from almost anywhere in the restaurant, and the friendliest service in town, Cafe Fina is one of the better choices for a meal while visiting Fisherman’s Wharf.
Reviewed June 29, 2018

My wife and I had lunch here while waiting for our room to become available. Near the Portela Hotel where we were staying, and on the Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey this popular restaurant gets both locals and tourists as customers. Joseph , our waiter, was great. Service was prompt, courteous and he also provided great conversation.
I ordered the seabass and my wife cipollo (sp). Fish was good, not extraordinary. Her dish , the mussels were on the "fishy" side. The pasta in her dish was overcooked. I wish there were more chucks of the octopus than we found. Fried calamari appetizer was delicious. View of bay and the place had a nautical feel to it. Enjoyed our lunch, it just was not an amazing one. Prices were moderate. Service again was fantastic..

Reviewed June 25, 2018

This restaurant is in lower Cannery Row (off Del Monte, before you get to the tunnel if you’re coming from Highway 1), about halfway down Fisherman’s Wharf, a one-block, carnival-like pedestrian-only section filled with souvenir shops and restaurants. It has Italian and related dishes, including beer and wine. I had linguini marinara with Italian sausage and a very nice cup of clam chowder. My husband and a friend had salmon salads, not officially on the menu but available if you ask; they were good, but I recommend checking the price before you order because they proved to be more expensive than we were expecting. It’s a small restaurant, so it had a bit of a claustrophobic feel. Food quality and service were somewhere between average and good. It’s a nice place to eat if you’re in this part of Monterey.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Our server Javier was first rate. The Seafood Paella was nice but very labor intensive having to shell all the seafood yourself, so the rice was cold by the time I'd finished! The Sand Dabs were good, as was the chocolate covered cream puffs dessert.

Reviewed June 12, 2018 via mobile

Down at Monterey Bay when one is spoilt for choices over what to eat, we decided to walk into the tiny Italian restaurant for dinner.

If you have a young child, They are one of the few family friendly restaurant in the area. The waiter was extremely professional and friendly. He offered great advices on the choice of food.

To TOP it all off, the food was incredibly delicious. We ordered a clam chowder soup, fish, steak, crab cakes and Shrimps MAC n Cheese. None of the dishes disappoint us. We left with a fully tummy and a happy heart. I would recommend this to anyone if you are around the region!

Reviewed June 7, 2018

The first thing we noticed when we sat down we were sitting at John Madden's table. There is a quaint sign stating if John Madden showed up we would be asked to move so he could have the table. We kinda hoped he did show up....Traveling with 3 daughters of varied ages makes for a fun experience when it comes to finding a restaurant which will have something for everyone. Cafe Fina did not disappoint at all. Let's see we started with the VIP Calamari and Garlic Bread. Each one was tasty and all the girls found the Garlic Bread especially wonderful. My husband and I tried the Clam Chowder Toasted Bowl as our appetizer and I have to say this was the best Clam Chowder I have had in a very long time. Honestly, we passed the bowl around the table and each person stated they had not had better in years. The clams were cleaned very well... no gritty feeling on your teeth when biting them. The flavor was full of fresh farm to table vegetables and the bread had an extra treat of melted cheese on it. As for entrees these were what we tried:
Ribeye steak.. cooked to exact perfection when ordered medium rare served with a vegetable medley of perfectly steamed vegetables.
Pallea.... to begin with you get a bib tied around your neck by the server and at the end you get a warm towel with lemon to clean up afterward. Full of a bounty from the sea over saffron rice. Extremely full of taste and abundant sea food in this meal.
Salmon: I personally had the salmon and it was fresh and flavorful. It came with the same wonderfully steamed vegetables and orzo with tomatoes.
Prawn scampi.. this was the only slight let down of the meal. The prawns were very small and not up to what the waiter described, but this did not detract enough to lower the rating. The flavor was phenomenal.
Sausage Pizza.. The next to youngest daughter, the one who eats almost nothing fancy, was thrilled with her pizza. Cooked in a wood fire oven and full of flavor.
Each of the adults had an adult beverage. The blood orange martini was excellent. The beer my husband had was large an very hoppy. He was happy. Youngest adult child/daughter had a glass of wine with her Paella and said it paired very well.
To sum it up we enjoyed our dining experience immensely and would recommend to anyone looking for a place to dine to give this place a try.