“Had a nice burger here”

Rosine's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 308 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Italian, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Rosine's Restaurant is located in the heart of Monterey and we are proud to be celebrating over 37 successful years. We have been voted 'Best Family Restaurant', 'Best Desserts' and more by Monterey County since 1992! Rosine's continues a fine tradition of homemade quality food, generous servings, daily specials and award-winning desserts. And now the third generation in the Culcasi Family is working to continue this tradition. Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner and fabulous weekend brunches. You can now enjoy your favorite cocktail while enjoying your favorite meal! We're featured on The Food Networks 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' with Guy Fieri, our episode name is 'Stuffed and Twisted' where Guy learns how to make our homemade Minestrone Soup and famous Lasagna. We are also featured on '100 Mile Meals'.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I went to Rosine's on my first day in Monterey. I was definitely running low on batteries at that point so I was looking for a quick but substantial meal to get back exploring straight after. I had a quite good burger with french fries and a lemonade. While eating I noticed that there were quite a few local guests eating here, that is usually a good sign. The service was quick and friendly, and not at all intrusive. I would definitely go again if I am back in town!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Rosine's IS downtown Monterey for a lot of locals....30+ years ago there was 'Alice's Restaurant' and Rosine's was in a shopping center not far away...From the day they opened on Alvarado they have been packed---with LOCALS and with tourists who are invariably sent there when they ask a local where to go.
Is this haute cuisine? NO! It is terrific salads and great specials and huge and perfectly made American specials---ranging from local fish to prime rib, depending on day and season--- and a few Mexican influenced entrees to go along with the Italian influenced ones----fair but decent wine list.... Massive desserts greet when you walk in (but I've personally never been a fan of them) ...however, IF you are a sweet-tooth person and love huge servings over great dessert then you will enjoy. It's a VERY very good value...opens early...stays open fairly late....friendly and attentive service and it's been given thumbs up from Rachel Ray and Guy Fieri.
I and my family and friends go here pretty regularly and the worst meal I've had has been fine and the best ones have been very, very good...

Reviewed May 5, 2014

fine place to eat - good food and good service. downtown monterey. we had a steak sandwich, lasagna, two dinner salads and potato skins. liberty cabernet was excellent

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Rosine's did an excellent job of handling our group of 10 for a late lunch during a busy Big Sur race time. Excellent food that was served quickly and was very good.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My friend took me to lunch today (Saturday) in downtown Monterey, CA at Rosine's on Alvarado. It is the weekend of the Big Sur Marathon so it was super busy and roaring load around noon time. Monterey is a huge tourist destination so we are used to it being busy around the area depending on what event is going on each weekend.
We got a table just before a huge line formed outside. We had to sort of yell to have a conversation. I had just had a 90 minute massage so I wasn't really in the mood for a loud restaurant but my friend was on her lunch break and it is near her work so we just went in for lunch. I had a Cobb salad, and my friend had the Shrimp Louis and a cup of the broccoli soup of the day. They also served us bread and butter which neither one of us ate but which I took home with my leftover salad for my husband. The service was attentive, although I did have to ask for a second cup of coffee. I also had a glass of water and my friend had an iced tea.
They recently have redone the décor so it looks fresh with shades of tan, brown, and black. The indoor awnings are cute, and I like the picture/mural on the wall is really cheerful and country garden looking.
Our waitress was super friendly, and we had male servers for drinks. We enjoyed our food and conversation once our ears adjusted to the loudness. I've been there before on a weekday for lunch and it was much quieter.
You should see the cakes and pies in the glass window of their bakery section: Those were some gigantic gorgeous looking cakes! It's probably a fun place to have dessert, too. I'm sure it would be yummy!
If you're in the downtown area and you are hungry check out Rosine's as there are a lot of great looking items in their menu and it appeared everyone around us was enjoying their food. They had a breakfast menu at noon, too.