“Charming modern comfort”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 28, 2006

We stayed for two nights in this great hotel. Elegant, clean, comfortable rooms. Helpful staff, and I'm not saying this because they gave us a warm cookie when we checked in! The location is great, right next to Fisherman's wharf. We would definately stay there again.

1  Thank Kids_in_travels
Write a ReviewReviews (2,581)

Reviewed August 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I just got back from Monterey/Portola Plaza Hotel and had a wonderful weekend. We were visiting just to get away for the weekend and I found a great deal on Travelzoo.com ($169 a night!) for a Deluxe room Friday and Saturday. Amazing deal and we wouldn't of wanted to be anywhere else in the city after exploring. The hotel room was great and we werent bothered by the outside noise. We spent Friday night on Alvarado St. (the main downtown strip of excitement!) at Doc Ricketts for comedy, Monterey Live (live music), and Cibo's (live reggae/dancing). We had tons of fun and were easily able to stumble back to our room after a few drinks :) Use the concierge (she has won Monterey awards for her services), don't expect to have a completly quiet room, and walk everywhere because the hotel is so central. Check out travelzoo for deals too because I probably would not have paid over $200 a night. Have fun!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ems33
Reviewed August 24, 2006

For a $200 a night hotel, it is a shame that no airconditioning is offered. Add to this the fact that they appear reluctant to put anyone above the first 2 floors. We checked in at 3.00pm, paid a high rate (over $200 a night), but they absolutely refused to give us a higher floor. Why is the floor important? Because, without a/c, the room's sliding glass door has to be opened to be bearable. But on the lower floors, an unlocked sliding door is an invitation for anyone to enter your room. In addition, the hotel is badly in need of renovation. Until that is done, they should not charge more than $100 a night.

• Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank go168
Reviewed August 24, 2006

We were on our third day of our honeymoon when we checked in at the Portola Plaza. From the moment we pulled up to the valet it was a great experience. Very helpful friendly staff from the valet, to the bell man and the front desk agent. Our room was decorated beautifully and we had a fantastic view of the bay. We slept with our balcony window open and woke to the sound of seals barking at the pier. We loved it! Our only negative was that we arrived late after driving down from Calistoga and the dining options for casual were limited. We went to the sports bar and I was very disappointed in everything we tried there. So if you keep your dining at other location you will be in great shape. The location is perfect, close to the historic fisherman's warf and just a short drive down to Carmel. We recommend making that drive as Carmel is simply beautiful. We also enjoyed the aquarium in Monterey tremendously.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChiGal930
Reviewed August 19, 2006

We booked this hotel based on the reviwes posted on tripadvisor.
When we arrived they said that there was only a valet parking for $ 17.00/day, then we found out that you can self park for $ 14.00/day. OK only $ 4.00 difference but they should have told us.
Our room was OLD and smelled mildew badly ! We complainded and after 45 munites they said that they would have gave us another room and send somebody to help us with the lagguage. Another 20 minutes before somebody showed up.
They gave us another room, still OLD facing the main street.
Noise from people in the street until 1:00 am and and 6:00 the seagulls gave us a very nice wake up call.
The only good thing about this hotel is the location, but don't waste your money.

3  Thank Seb126
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I booked this room thru Travelocity, I had explained to them that we were on our 25th Wedding Anniversary. They called the hotel to inform them and they replied that we would have a great room and also a complementary bottle of champagne.
Well needless to say, that was not the case. The room was right over the shops on the main street. Very noisy. Lots of children, but the noise itself came mostly from the seagals and seals from the wharf. We could not sleep the first nite at all. The room was very small and guess what, there was no champagne. Just two cookies given to us at the front Desk.
I called Travelocity, and they arranged to have us move to a better location at the hotel. We then had the 6th floor which was in the middle of the court yard of the hotel. A little bit better, but still noisy. This hotel caters to families, and large conventions.
It is a very touristy town and very expensive no matter where you eat or stay. We will never ever go back. For $255.-- avg stay per nite you would expect much more. The bathroom showers did not work well, their was mildew on the walls and also on the ceilings. They did not change the sheets on the bed. Housekeeping made up the bed like some of kids did when they were in high school.
The Pool was small, on 31/2 ft. so it geared for the younger children. Only one day did we manage to go into the pool. It was the only day that it was not crowded with children. Not that I don't like children, I had four of my own. But when you pay for what you think is going to be a resort., you expect that atleast the hotel would cater to both, families and adults. But we made the best of it anyway. This hotel is way overpriced by atleast $150.00
If they had charged 145.- to 175.00 per nite that would be ok.
Also there were alot of homeless people on the street, they approached me and my husband twice asking for money. I saw one man being harrassed by a homeless person at the Bank of America Atm window on the corner. It's a shame. There was no security as far as I can see. If you are looking for a romantic resort, a place for quite and relaxing this is not the place to be. I would recommend Carmel. Much nicer, but at least their to get what you pay for. All I can say is this hotel needs improvement and I wish I had read some of the reviews prior to making this trip. I think the thing that really bothers me the most is that we American's work real hard, and when we go on vacation, we play hard. and want it to be perfect. And in this so called perfect world that we live in, their are companies as this Portola Plaza Hotel that rip off the public. Along with the restaurants on the Wharf. I just now looked at my bank account, and noticed that one of the Restaurants that we ate charged us more. The bill for two people was $115.77 I gave them a tip of 15.00 Well they decided to make up their own tip. They changed it to $138.92.
The Restaurant is Isabella's on the Wharf.
Well now I have to call the bank and fight about that.
Also, I received another bill for parking at the hotel. $56.00
we were told at the front desk, just show our card. Guess what nothing is for free here. They should call it RIP OFF CITY.!!!!!!
Oh I am mad as hell. Do yourself a favor. Check out another area. I am thinking of getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau. To report these fraudlent activities.

3  Thank Jessie53
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My family got 4 rooms at the Portola Plaza Hotel through a Travelzoo special. We felt very lucky! The accomodations were outstanding. The rooms are bright and sumputously furnished. The location couldn't be better--walk right outside to Fisherman's Wharf, a short walk (or trolleycar ride) to Cannery Row and the Aquarium.

I was a little worried by some previous reviews that mentioned noise outside. We happened to get the interior (deluxe) rooms through the Travelzoo special. In these rooms, it was totally quiet at night (even Friday and Saturday). We did notice a fairly loud wedding party next door on a Saturday night, so potentially this could be an issue for the outside rooms.

All in all, I'd definitely make this my first choice if I travel to Monterey again (and can get a good deal).

• Stayed: June 2006