“Great Hotel! Great Price! Great Location!”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Portola for our 4 year anniversary. The hotel is very nice. Has many personal touches. We paid $99 a night through a Travelzoo special. The hotel is right on the ocean. We brought our bikes and road all over downtown from one side of Monterey to the other. Their restaurants are great too! I highly recommend their little pub which has a one of a kind Peach Ale-Excellent! Great experience!

1  Thank Boopsquared
Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed May 29, 2006

I have stayed at the hotel several times over the past 8 years, typically as part of a conference. Because the lodging is expense-account, the high price doesn't bother me as much as others on this list. I will admit that the rooms are not necessarily as large or luxurious as one might expect for the money, but this is an expensive part of the country and I'm not sure that people adjust their expectations accordingly. The hotel is ideally situated near both the wharf and the downtown area, and it is a short (and beautiful) walk to all the other locations of interest. You can step out of the hotel and onto the recreation trail and run/bike/walk for miles and miles. Get out early and enjoy the sunrise, including amazing sealife. There are several great restaraunts and bars in the near vicinity, so it is easy to go out and enjoy yourself without having to drive or search. All the other attractions of Monterey are well-publicized, and I won't rehash them, but obviously it's a wonderful spot to spend a few days or more. This hotel provides a great home base to explore the city and the surrounding area.

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank David A
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 27, 2006

For the price we paid for a "premium" room, that premium was the view - something that almost any other hotel, some at a better price, can afford to you - the website makes it seem like so much more - additionally, no room bar fridge or any other special amenities - the internet connection was through a hi speed wire but you had to pay extra and no wi-fi! Good location but obviously a convention hotel - everytime we went downstairs, we were welcomed by a large convention - this is obviously a convention hotel with business rates - the other maddening thing was that while the claim of a total room renevation in 2002, it appeared that they took used items, wallpaper, etc from other rooms an "updated" the room - looked like a holiday inn from the 1970's.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Londonderry, NH
Reviewed May 14, 2006

This hotel looks spectacular on the internet, but I found it very deceiving. The room that I was checked into had a large pole in the center. I was then moved to a room that was off to the side of the hotel with no elevator access that was equaly small but at least I had windows. The new room smelled musty and the adjacent courtyard was a small shopping mall that was very loud at night. The toilet sounded like a jet taking off and the shower pressure was very lowwith luke warm water. This hotel should charge < $100 a night instead of the $200 + I payed (boy was I a sucker), unfortunaltey I was in for a conference and the rooms in the adjacent hotels were booked up so I could not move. The Chief Bellman was very rude to whomever he spoke and barked answers as to intimidate you into not speaking to him, obviuolsy not a people person. The brightspot was the concierge who was very sweet and helpful along with the staff at the front desk. There was no express check-out due to computer gliches and I had to wait in line to check out. Stay at your own risk!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Whew - I got a little nervous reading some of the recent reviews as I already had booked my travel. It seems the reviews from April were all themed with noise issues but I had no problem. I stayed over a weekend, and am not the soundest sleeper so I was ready with my Tylenol PM - but thankfully didn't need it! My room was so cozy - not a typical hotel feel and loved the mattress. I'm very picky and must have a pillow top bed so that is why I picked this hotel initially and was not disappointed.

2  Thank MontereyLauren
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Where should i start i booked this hotel off expedia with a rate of $269.00 for friday and a little higher for saturday i picked this hotel because i had read some reviews that said this hotel was way better then the other one i had picked . We arrived at the hotel late friday night and everything was fine untill we walked in it was very nice hotel valet was nice but oonly one person out there to get your bags could of used more then one .

Well we get to the front desk and i noticed all these kids running around and i thought to myself what is going on i came here to get away from my kids and relax with my husband come to fine out there is a jazz festival going on for teenagers from all over i guess yippee lucky us .So we continue to check in and at first they gave us thewrong room type i booked a room with a balocny and they tried giving us a standard so they had to fix that (but wish i would of stuck with the standard ) the rrom was very nice very clean fluffy pillows and soft bed .

The room looked over the plaza you can see the spa from the balocny and the bike rental it was on the third floor it was cozy .Well as the night went on it was noisy kids running all over people partying in the plaza on there balconies not good my husband could not sleep he was woke up by people screaming yelling and so on i on the other hand can sleep thorugh it . So saturday comes i took a cold shower and so did myhusband yup just what i wanted in a room i spent this much money on came back to the hotel later that day and told the front desk and i guess they fixed it it worked ok the next morning was not ahas bad .

Well satuday night what a night went to bed late lots of partying kids playing there jazz festival instuments all over you can here it everywhere people hanging on there balconies over the plaza terrible my husband called down tot he desk 4 times to try to get then to be quit nope di not work i had to go down there in my p.j's to get the front desk clerk to call the police to get these people to be quiet so about 10 mintues went by they came told the people to chill out and they did just like that the hotel security could not do that why ??????

Anyways i checked out talked to the manger very nice man and he said that they have never had that many kids there before and it was a convention and he was sorry gave us breakfast at jacks and gave us 2 free nights if you want to stay here just make sure there is no convention or anything i though i was getting a quiet hotel to relax overall it is a nice hotel ( guess i picked the worng weekend )

2  Thank leesgrl
Sewell, NJ
Reviewed April 17, 2006

The rooms were your standard. The location is very convenient to old downtown and is directly adjacent to Fisherman's wharf. It is attached to the convention center so very good for meetings.

The problem is that depending on the location of your room it can be very loud. The windows crossed one whole wall with only wooden slats covering them. There is no insulation from the noise outside. Hence, if your room is along an outer wall that overlooks a sidewalk or bar it is as if you are outside. My room was on the second floor over the shops on the walk to the wharf so high traffic at all hours. I did not sleep well any of the 5 nights I stayed.

At first I thought there was a problem with my windows. Supposedly facilities came to examine them, but I decided it was just location. I went to the desk several times and there was no offer to move me. I guess I could have been more persistent but the hotel was supposedly sold out for our conference.

Stayed: April 2006