Staying in the hotel for 2 nights at Priceline rate, I feel the hotel barely worth my money. If I would have to pay regular price, that's definitely better places to stay in. As I book through Priceline, at check in, guest services gave us a city view room at street level, facing a very busy street. As the hotel does not have air conditioning and with room facing west, we have no choice to open the balcony door to cool down the room, not to say leaving the room open throughout the night. With how busy the street is and trucks stopping with engines on right in front of our room, none of us are able to catch a good night sleep. The next morning we reflected our problems to guest services, who graciously offered us another room at a higher level facing courtyard. Sleep the following night was much better, though you can hear sea gulls declaring their territory intermittently throughout the night.
Following are my evaluation of the hotel:
- Double rooms quite roomy, with big working desk in between the beds
- Washroom very clean and roomy
- Guest services very friendly and professional
- Pool and hot tub are clean and spacious, though it's located in a separate building that requires us to walk from one building outdoor to another, crossing a pedestrian only public road. Thus, you may not want to leave the kids going back to the room by themselves.
- Hotel located within minutes of walk to Fisherman Wharf, where you can find some great restaurants. Farmers market is held every Tuesday (at least during summer) where you can enjoy food from all countries.
- Lack of air conditioning
- Rooms facing city view are too far from elevator and be prepared of the traffic noise
- Parking - $17 parking fee not included as part of the rate
- Internet access - at an outrageous fee
Suggestion - if you're sensitive of noise, at check in, ask for room facing courtyard at higher level instead of just letting the guest service offer you any room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelPower, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and TripOnline SA so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay