Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
$171
InterContinental
$149
  • Pool
Monterey Bay Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$165
$151
Orbitz.com
Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$95
$91
Agoda.com
2,661 results
All reviewsbrew pubjack's restaurantfisherman's wharfwarm cookiescannery rowchocolate chip cookiesceiling fanconvention centerbreakfast buffetself parkingwithin walking distanceper dayupon checkbeautiful hotelmonterey baysea lionswhale watching
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I visited Monterey when I was VERY pregnant..like our daughter ended up coming 3 days after we got home, VERY pregnant. I had read on trip advisor that people said the property was huge, and it's sometimes a long walk to the room, so I contacted the hotel ahead of time and asked them to take pity on me when they did our room assignment. When I called, they not only put in a request for a close room, but they let me know they had a promotion going that included breakfast at a lower rate than I had booked for. When we arrived to the property, I didn't lift a finger. The bell boy immediately grabbed my bags, and I was promptly handed a warm cookie. Pregnant girl dream come true! :) The entire stay was relaxing, friendly, and flawless. We're coming back next month, this time with our baby girl! Can't wait!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We booked two adjoining rooms so that we could stay with our children. I triple confirmed this before we set out on our trip. (this was one of the few hotels that said they could confirm adjoining rooms in advance). When we arrived, they stated that the rooms we would be receiving were NOT adjoining...after a very long journey we were exhausted and very unhappy at the news. We spoke to the manager on duty who turned an unhappy group of campers into a very happy group when she offered to upgrade us to a beautiful suite that would accommodate all of us and on top of it all had the best view of the harbor. They really went the extra mile to ensure we would be happy despite the bumpy start. The Portola was perfect for our family - clean, plenty of room, fantastic service, wonderful brunch and a great family-friendly spot at Peter B's. Thank you Portola for making such an effort. It's nice to see that people (businesses) still care!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbor and a higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband my our 3 little kids stayed at the Portola over memorial weekend. You can't beat this place for location. It's literally a 2 minute walk to Fishermans wharf and the bike path to cannery row and the aquarium. There is adventure bikes right on site for rentals which was very convenient. The hot tub was large and they also had a big pool, though it was only a little over 3 feet deep, but perfect for our 6 year old. The rooms were nice and big as was the bathroom, no microwave but they did have a keurig coffee maker and a small fridge. Beds were comfortable with nice big fluffy comforters. Staff was polite and helpful and there were plenty of places to eat nearby that were kid friendly. We did have to pay $17 a night to park in the parking garage but that's pretty common in Monterey. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Hsandman
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Positives
Good Location
Peter B's is a great family friendly pub
Something for the kids - The Portola Pirate Program
Negatives
At USD 259 a night (even by Monterrey standards) the hotel is very average
If you get a 1st Floor room facing the road, you will hear traffic all night
No Air Conditioning
They were busy on Memorial day weekend and it took 20 minutes to check in. We were asked to wait because the room was not ready (They did waive the parking fee for two days but still...)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

GaryV33146,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Portola Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to hear you had an opportunity to experience Peter B’s Brewpub and take part in the Portola Pirates Program for children. We are constantly striving to improve our Hotel to improve upon every guest experience and appreciate your feedback about your room location. We hope overall your time in Monterey was enjoyable and you visit the Monterey Peninsula again soon.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team

Reviewed May 22, 2014

My children and I tagged along on my husband's business trip. My son has a severe wheat allergy which makes traveling a bit of an adventure. Both Jack's and Peter B's have gluten free menus and accommodate food allergies! The chefs were more than happy to cook fresh bacon and slice new watermelon for my son. He was a happy camper. When eating at a buffet, you never know if there is cross contamination. I was extremely pleased with that aspect of our stay! Mary Jo (I think that's her name) at Jack's went the extra mile for us, excellent service! The rooms were okay, beds very comfortable and the refrigerator was a plus. The only complaint I had was that the toilets are very loud, but I guess that's the price we pay for eco-friendly toilets. There were several events and conferences being held, making parking a bit of an issue, but the valet service was excellent. Overall, we enjoyed out stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business