“Noisy”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 30, 2008

This place was the worse place I stayed in while in California.
You would think they could invest some money into soundproofing the walls. Every time someone flushed the toilet above and below you it echoed thru the walls. This went on all nite. Across the courtyard you could hear people on their balconies talking. The seals in the harbor got into a disturbance around 3 am and you could not sleep. My view of the ocean was possible if I had brought my 10 foot step ladder and left it on the balcony( they did offer an upgrade for $180 more). I complained to the desk about the noise but was offered no solution .

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank do-it-in-ky

Reviewed September 29, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a four-night stay at this hotel. We were very happy with the hotel staff, especially housekeeping, who cleaned our room early every day, but there are a few issues. One is that our room did not have air conditioning and it was hot when we were there. There is an overhead fan, but it was located in the sitting area and we couldn't feel it in the sleeping area, which is where it was needed. I didn't sleep that well due to no circulating air. Also, we could hear every toilet flush from surrounding rooms.

The other issue is the fitness center is being renovated so for now it is two sleeping rooms with some equipment. It is very tiny and hard to find and you would probably be better off paying to go to another gym or just running on the trail to Cannery Row.

Aside from the above three issues, we were happy with our stay. The hotel is within walking distance of a lot of nice restaurants and night life.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 19, 2008

As we hadn't booked a hotel in Monterey during peak season in July we weren't expecting anything luxurios. However a room was available and from the moment I approached the front desk to the time we checked out , the service was first class. We were upgraded to a partial see view queen sized room and were given a complementary breakfast, 20% discount for evening meal and free parking as I was celebrating my 30th birthday . The room was comfortable even though the bed was a queen size. The hotel is central and only a pleasant 20 minute walk from Cannery Row. A great hotel in a wonderful area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

The hotel is very nice the staff was very courtoeus and freindly,
The hotel also offers a service provided by a company called Romantic Room Designs that I booked thru the hotel and they decorated the room up witha very romantic setting of silk rose petals candles ballons etc that made for a wondereful entrance to the room and a great start to a few relaxing days of vacation.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2008

This Hotel and Spa looked beautiful in the photos. But it was such a disappointment. They didn't tell us when we booked the room that they were remodeling. We brought our 3 kids with us. Then when we checked in, they didn't even tell us the pool wasn't open and the air-conditioner wasn't working. Their gym was two hotel rooms with pretty decent equipment in it. Very old hotel. It is in a good location but they really need to start remodeling the rooms. And they really need to start being honest with the remodeling. We would have never stayed there if we would have known they were right in the middle of remodeling.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed here for our 5th wedding anniversary. We had expectations of a nice luxury hotel and spa. We found that the accomodations were average and the spa was disappointing. The spa was being renovated, but I was not informed that my treatment was not going to include the aromatherapy bath and water massage as expected. At checkout I inquired about it and they only gave me 10% off of my treatment. My whole purpose for booking the treatment was for the bath. I was very disappointed.

Our room was very noisy, I heard everything that was going on outside, I don't feel like we had a moment rest. Between the people outside and the seagulls it made for a very noisy vacation. They should have spent the extra money and purchased sound proof windows. The wall are really thin as well. When you pay luxury prices, you expect luxury accomodations. If I want to hear the noise outside, I could have open ed the sliding door that led to my balcony. With thin windows, they left you no option but to hear the noise outside. The funny thing is that they charge more for rooms where you can hear the sea life.....so if you choose that option, change your reservation. You can hear the sea life from any room.

The shower switches from hot to cold while bathing. You have to wait a while before the hot water kicks back in. Also beware, you can barely see in the bathrooms, the lighting is very poor.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, but it was definitely not worth the over $300 a night price.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tripreview8203
Reviewed August 2, 2008

I've had better service at the Days Inn off I-94 in Sturtevant, WI.

The location is great. Close enough to Cannery Row, great walking or jogging just outside your door, nice down town area. Unfortunately, that's about all I can say that is good about this place.

The desk staff was rude and actually mocked me and my family (thinking we were out of earshot).

We could not get to sleep because of the proximity of our room (one of many I'm sure) that was near their bar Peter B's. When we called the front desk to complain they first tried to play dumb ("party? what party?"), then when I persisted they immediately asked if I wanted a new room. This really upset me because this is clearly a known issue. We declined due to having a baby, but wanted to move the next day.

When we went to the desk to move, they were quite rude. We chalked it up to a bad day, they here it from all the guests, and moved on.

The next day, we went to the desk and asked if we could possibly have more of their awesome cookies they give out upon check in. Without a response or smile, the person behind the desk handed me two cookies. As we waited in the lobby, the two staff behind the counter mocked us (thinking we could not hear them), mimicking my request and sarcastically asking if we "wanted some milk" as well.

Needless to say, that was all I needed to spur me to write this and suggest to you that you should not stay there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business