“Screeching seagulls, early morning volleys of toilet flushing and a rude check in clerk”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great hotel, wonderful ambiance, Jack's is beyond superb, best beds of any hotel yet - and don't be dismayed at the rude check in clerks - especially Troy the front desk manager, the early morning volley of very loud and rude toilet flushes that sound like gun shots and the screeching seagulls who join those who get up early and flush. The homeless also add their blight to the scene and the skate boarders add a little excitement. Parking is the abomination of desolation.
Have fun and be prepared to take a second for payment of outrageous room rates.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,552)

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at the Portola Hotel in Monterey CA for the annual Sea Otter Bicycle Cloassic at Leguna Seca. I would like to say from the check-in - room accomodations, Monterey Bay view, Jack's Lounge everything was absolutely awesome. Portola is close to everything...bike path, restaurants, Cannery Row,
Anne Roberts - hotel concierge, got us tickets to the Food & Wine Event @ Pebble..did a wonderful job...thanks again Portola - see you next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Monterey Bay have wonderful views - for some sea-life noise may be a factor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last year for a few days during the kids spring break. Had such a great time that we couldn't wait to book another trip. This was our second time staying at this hotel and it is first class service from the valet, front desk, house keeping. It's a quick walk to cannery row along a paved walking/bike trail along the water. Great safe location! Very close to old monterey wharf where there's great food, dessert, gift shops. I'd give it 10 stars if I could.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I currently visited this hotel to enjoy the Resturant portion when on my way up the sidewalk I stumbled on my heel and fell. A tall young man named Ben came running to my aid and helped me up and helped picked the items that fell out of purse. I was so embarrassed but he was so sweet and kind, it really made the fall hurt less. I tried to tip him, but he woul not accept my money for he said he only accepts tips on service not on humanity. Thank you Ben!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Eveysmom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at Portola for a convention, and wish we had time to partake of the spa, it looked wonderful. Breakfast at Jack's (buffet) was wonderful, the scones are not to be missed. Dinner at Peter B's Brewpub was a treat, and the walking paths nearby were great for the evenings when you need to stretch your legs. The beds were comfortable, free wifi in the lobby area (in room, for a charge). The conference had a banquet on Saturday night, catered by the hotel, the meal was wonderful. My only complaint was no free in room wifi, which it have had in most other hotels I stayed at, both in the US and the UK. On balance, a place worth coming back to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the street side, especially on the weekend, when it can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We booked an overnight girls' getaway at the spa and the hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The spa services were first rate and the hotel was lovely. The room was beautiful. The bathroom was contemporary and immaculately clean as was the room. The lobby is open with a skylight ceiling. The entire hotel has a welcoming and friendly and luxurious ambience. Every staff member from the valets to the check in/out staff to the restaurant servers to the housekeeping staff were friendly, knowledgeable and provided excellent service. We particularly enjoyed the cheese plate and drinks at Jack's lounge. Our only complaint was the view from our room was the roof and so not very pretty. I would gladly stay there again, but would be more specific about the view.

Room Tip: I would request a room that doesn't overlook the roof!! The room itself was gorgeous though.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LindaM826
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Was in Monterey for the first time March 24-26 to teach at a conference at the Portola. Had a king room overlooking the Bay. Where to start.

The staff was outstanding, especially when I remember a name...Benjamin at the front door. We had several discussions over the course of three days and he was extremely helpful with directions and local eateries. The staff as a whole was so outstanding I used them as an example during my teaching.

The room was large, clean and more than comfortable. Normally when I travel I'm worried about two things: how well do I sleep and how good is the hot water for a shower. Both needs were greatly exceeded at the Portola.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of California, but travel when necessary. This is one place I would bring my wife to for a quiet getaway and be completely confident all expectations would be met.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business