If you stay here bring ear plugs. Noise levels are intolerable. There is no air conditioning so to be comfortable you have to keep the windows open at night. Although our room was no where near any meeting place, we were disturbed both nights of our stay by drunken rowdy partiers whooping it up well into the early morning hours. When that finally subsided after 2 am we were serenaded by each night by the very loud sound of snoring coming through the wall from the next room.
The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel was lovely if sterile.
The service was substandard. Upon arrival we were met by a uniformed valet who didnt bother to welcome us or take our bags, but instead said - will you be using self park or valet. When we said we would be self parking ( in the hotel garage for $17 a night) he said you are going to have to move because we need this space . WHAT !!! There was an entire courtyard/driveway available for check in and he wanted us to move. We said firmly, we'll check in first, then we will move the car.
I had reserved a king sized room a month in advance using the hotel website. We were given a room with two doubles. Not a big deal, but when I called to inquire the clerk asked if I had booked online. I said yes. She said ( with clear disdain) when you use the discount websites this is what you get. I corrected her and said I had booked directly with the hotel and had specified a king sized bed. She said she would check and get back to me. We waited 20 minutes and she never called back , so we did, got someone else, who said he would call back and never did. We finally gave up. Not a big deal but not great service. Although we got a discount by booking in advance, there are so many other fine choices in the area that I am sure one could do better elsewhere. By the way, the pool looks great in the photos but is barely the size of a hot tub.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED Certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, three on-site restaurants including a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay