“Great service-Every member of the staff was always smiling and friendly.”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location (one mile away from Defense Language Institute). The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. Comfortable clean room. We plan on staying here every time we come to visit our son at the the DLI.

There are newer reviews for Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel, and once again, I was more than pleased. The staff were incredibly accommodating, polite, and helpful. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Both times I didn't want to leave the room, even though Monterey is so beautiful. There's a beautiful view of the ocean, and the windows even open a bit so you can experience the fresh ocean air. The beds are beyond amazing. Even though I was under a great deal of stress related to work, I had the best night's sleep in that bed I'd had in weeks. I don't care if the mattress is stuffed with puppies: it was *that* comfortable, I'd sell out all my most dearly held values to sleep like that again. Great hotel, great service, great night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ocean view, obviously. But anywhere would be great in this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have stayed at six different hotels in Monterey, and this was by far the nicest. Every single staff member I encountered was warm, friendly, and welcoming. Even the clerk in the gift store gave me advice on where I could shop to get the specific item I was looking for at a good price (and she was right!).

The "pirates" program for children was a great way to make my two feel like they belonged at the hotel. The scavenger hunt was a brilliant way to get the parents to see what amenities the hotel offered, and the kids had a blast.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The only complaint there was that the toilets are pressure-assisted and I could hear every toilet in every room around ours flush all night long.

We didn't take advantage of the free breakfast on our first morning because the kids wanted crepes. (There are two creperies within a block of the hotel.) Next time I stay there I will know not to skip the breakfast. I never expect much from hotel buffets, but this one was fabulous. And for just the cost of a tip, it was quite a bargain!

The hotel plunge pool is small but good for children. The jacuzzi sign said it was 102 degrees, but it was nowhere near that (which was unfortunate for the parents who wanted to relax while the kids splashed). There are only three cabanas by the pool, but room service does deliver food and drinks poolside.

We'll definitely stay at the Portola the next time we visit Monterey.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just came back from a trip to San Francisco. We stayed at the Portola when visiting Monterey. The room was ready upon our check in which was a half hour early. The cookies they gave upon check in were fantastic. The staff was super friendly and professional. The room was quite comfortable. There was no air conditioning but we simply kept the sliding patio door open and were quite comfortable. Easy access to the Wharf and other attractions. Anne at the concierge desk was very helpful with dinner suggestions and making reservations for the whale watching tours. She also had very simple directions to the 17 mile drive to Carmel which was well worth the trip. The breakfast buffet that came with our package from Travelzoo was scrumptious but I wouldn't have paid the full price since there are plenty of other alternatives for breakfast in the area that are inexpensive. They were also very accommodating when we asked to stay another night at the same rate as the Travelzoo rate.

Room Tip: It is a long walk from the elevators to many of the rooms so if you have trouble walking be sure to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Great intro with Bellman/ Valet Pierre providing prompt service and polite friendly demeanor. Check in was quick, polite. Overall impression was positive.
Fairly quickly I encountered some of the nuances of the place that were annoying.
Our wing of the hotel involved quite a circuitous route to our room, with a section that has card access doors to pass through.
No one at front desk mentioned this,so when I sent my family ahead with the Bellman while I parked our vehicle, I eventually found myself locked out of the sizable wing of the hotel. I had to lurk next to the secure doors waiting for someone to come along.
Another nuance was the Live cover band playing outside on the patio at Peter B's Pub. Great for bar patrons but not for children trying to get to sleep.
Band eventually wrapped up by 10:15pm.
My wife and child had to tolerate a cigar smokin cheap beer swilling guest in the pool/hot tub area.I guess that could happen at any place but I sense it occured cause of the hidden location of the pool.
Final nuance was an improperly functioning door entry mechanism that locked me out several times.

Beds were awesome, super supportive and comfy mattresses.
Room service breakfast was top notch and of course pricey.

Check out was quick and frontdesk staff were helpful with selling us some advance passes for the Aquarium.

I would give this place another chance to impress us, did'nt happen this trip.

3  Thank Papatravels
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here just 1 night on a escorted tour through the soutwest in october 2012. The portola has very clean, beautiful rooms and prima beds. I didn't understand the layout completely (couldn't find the swimming pool). I didn't like the surroundings so much: little bit to touristy for me. Thay give you great chocolate chip cookies when you come in and also the breakfast was great!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was very disappointed in my stay at the Portola spa and hotel in Monterey, California. From the moment we arrived it was a display of unprofessionalism and unfriendliness. The entrance to the hotel was blocked off by cones forcing us to find an alternate means of entry. Our welcoming words by staff was, "You came in the wrong way, you could have got a ticket". The woman at the front desk following was not pleasant. She gave us two double beds and I told her that it was our anniversary and we would like a king bed. She said they were sold out. She didn't even say Happy Anniversary. Then she said that we could stay in a king for one night of our 3 night stay. However, we had our toddler son with us and the thought of having to relocate was not very appealing on a vacation. On the third night of our stay the electricity went out. Children were scared screaming in the hallway outside of our room, which woke our sleeping son. There continued to be noise for at least an hour. So we were in the dark with an upset baby listening to screams and noise outside of our room. By the time the chaos clear it was well after midnight. Our check out the front desk was disappointing. We were asked how are stay was. I replied okay and explained what had happened with beds and noise. He said that's what happens when you book through Hotwire...as if we were second class citizens for using Hotwire. Still not a Happy Anniversary in sight. He said I will take one night off of your valet parking for the noise. We were just happy to finally that place.

4  Thank CRosa1