“Highly recommend this hotel.”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
“Highly recommend this hotel.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Completely positive experience from making the reservations all the way through to checking out The rooms are modern and pristine. Breakfast was delicious-a great buffet. The staff was friendly. Convenient location next to wharf. Very reasonable pricing. Warm cookies given upon arrival-nice touch. Will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Turkish first
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel is in a awesome location, its a short walk to the wharf and all the tourist activities and restaurants. Our room was large, with a King bed which was very soft and comfy. We had a large well appointed bathroom, and a lounge area opening with shutters to a large patio area. Nice.
The staff were very helpful and the breakfast buffet amazing. The Omelettes made to order were fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tunn-1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel towards the end of a long road trip up the coast. The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel was very clean and welcoming and our room was beautiful! Such a plus to have a nice pool and hot tub to relax in, as well. The bonus was the location- we rented bikes just downstairs on the plaza to easily explore the nearby marina, Cannery Row, Aquarium and Pacific Grove. If you're heading to Monterey- this is the hotel you want to book!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a marina view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank get0utandexpl0re
Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

While I think this hotel was very nice in location and outside appeal, I don't appreciate the BED BUG bites that appeared a few days later. Yes, I never would of thought to even check for bed bugs in this type of hotel, but it just goes to prove that looks can be deceiving. I traveled to Monterey with my husband and one year old for Labor Day weekend for my baby's first trip to the beach. Five days later I am covered in bites. I tried to convince myself (and even my doctor) that it was mosquito's, sand fleas, regular fleas, chicken pox, spider bites; anything but bed bugs. But today my doctor confirmed that yes, in fact this is a clear case of bed bug bites. If you could only imagine my anger, frustration, irritation, disbelief, and heartache. And my worst fear is yet unconfirmed. Did these bed bugs hitch a ride to my house in my luggage? Although I have checked the bed and luggage only time will tell if they made it here. And that will be a whole other ball game.
I did call the hotel to inform them of the problem. I felt it important so other families don't encounter the same horrible problem. What type of response did I get? The usual corporate line about how "we always check" and "we have devices that warn...". The shift manager said she would do an inspection and call me back, which she did. Her "visual inspection" didn't find anything. As if they would have confirmed that they have bed bugs. I haven't traveled anywhere else in the past several months and keep a real tight ship when it comes to home (and life) cleanliness. There is only one place these bites could have occurred; during our stay at the Portola Hotel & Spa. This is a much bigger problem then we all think. I never thought this could happen to me. I just pray the worst is over and I didn't bring any critters home. If you do stay here, make sure to check the room out first, and be on the safe side when you return. Quarantine everything!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Rebecca B
PortolaHotelSpa, Manager at Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Our hotel takes all claims on potential bed bug issues extremely seriously. We have an outside company who not only monitors our rooms on a monthly basis for us, but also comes in to inspect whenever we have a claim. We immediately investigate and are diligent in following up if there is an issue. In the majority of the cases, fortunately it is something other than bed bugs. It is unfortunate that this issue is a part of our industry, but something we all try to do our best to be proactive in order to prevent further incidents.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Portola Hotel & Spa Management Team
Nevada
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night and had breakfast at the Portola Plaza and thought it was lovely. I'm pretty picky and always look for cleanliness, great beds with nice sheets, and good food service. This hotel met my expectations. You cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed September 10, 2012

While the room was very nice the service was excellent. Staff at Jack's restaurant and the lounge can't do enough for you. In the lounge the drink servings are generous.
The hotel is very conveniently located to all major Monterey attractions and only a 15 minute drive from the Monterey regional airport. Downtown and Fisherman's Wharf restaurants are only a short walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: If seals barking under the wharf might bother you ask for a room on the other side of the hotel. It...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Awesome room, very soft comfy beds. Quiet hotel. Next to Fisherman's Wharf so park the car (extra $17) and walk around. Bid $150 and accepted on Priceline so the very nice room was the same cost as a scary motel further away!

Room Tip: If you want a view, it is extra.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family