“Good pre-Christmas stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Athens, Georgia, United States
“Good pre-Christmas stay”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed in adjoining rooms with our son and his two small children. The hotel was wonderful. There was a fresh fruit basket in their room for the little ones and our rooms were clean and bright! The service for breakfast was outstanding. We felt like celebrities with the waiters catering to our ever need. The food was delicious and abundant. The same can be said for dinner. We returned after a trip to the aquarium and decided to have dinner at the hotel rather than some restaurant outside. The prices were reasonable and the food and service were great. The quietness of the restaurant was relaxing after a day of sightseeing. Upon checking out at the end of our stay, the receptionist provided the kids with a "thanks for staying" gifts. We enjoyed every minute of our stay!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Hubby and I stayed here for one night on the way to San Francisco. Overall - a great experience and a lovely hotel in a great location - just steps from the wharf.
We have traveled all over the world, so I am super picky when it comes to hotels.

Check in was super easy and the front desk crew was awesome! So friendly and welcoming. The warm cookies they give you at check in are a nice touch.

The room - really nice! Way beyond our expectations. It was nicely appointed, very clean, and super comfortable. Free wifi. Very comfy bed. Nice bathroom. And Clean...so Clean...!!!

We got a special rate through travel zoo that included a buffet breakfast. The breakfast was just okay - not great. Enough to eat, but definitely a little light on the choices - maybe because it was almost christmas and the hotel was quiet.

Regardless, if we were to pass through Monterey again, we would definitely stay again at Portola!! Two thumbs up!! Highly reccomended!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor in the center of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunshine333
California
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Did a winter visit in November; I must have caught the staff here at the wrong time. My previous visit a year earlier had excellent service. I had rented a small economy car for my annual trek to go scuba diving in Monterey. So I guess my little Hyundai didn’t quite measure up to the MB and BMW's that were parked adjacent to me. I thought I would receive the same type of service no matter what vehicle I was driving. With a little car packed with significant amount of scuba gear and a bike rack mounted they might have misinterpreted that I was there just for a bathroom break.

Anyway concierge staff took care of the vehicle parked in front of me and the vehicle behind me while leaving me conveniently alone. Valet staff didn’t want to help either but they did instruct me that stopping in front of the hotel was for check in only. I guess they didn’t pick up on the fact I was trailing my dive bag and carrying my back pack toward the front desk that I was intending to check in.

Entered and found the young woman at the desk was confronted by an irate customer didn’t catch the whole conversation but the couple didn’t leave very happy. When they turned and left, a softly whispered “Bar room expletive” came out. Put a smile on my face but added bit of apprehension. Requested a non-smoking room and given security card for the room. I had a general idea where it was located but wasn’t offered any assistance even though I was lugging quite a lot of gear. Fortunately I snagged luggage cart and off I went.

Got to my room only to find out it smelled like a cigar was lite up for incense. I could only guess that the last visitor ignored the no smoking signs, zero ashtrays and somehow kept the smoke alarms from sounding. I wasn’t about to lug everything down again so called the front desk and asked for a replacement non-smoking room. I was told a non-smoking room was not available for about another hour. Left my stuff in the room and went to park the rental car.

As I was entering my car, a valet came up and told me that I was lucky because they were about to tow my car away because it was for check in only. I asked him were the same cars that were in front and back of me going to be towed and he said they were customers who were checking in. I showed him my room security key and the conversation ended with no apologies. I now kind of wonder who would have paid for the tow?

Anyway two hours passed before I got a room that didn’t smell like an ashtray. Here’s the surprise, the front desk asked me to come down to get the new room key, they must have been busy. Got down to the front desk and asked for the new room key and was asked to leave the key for the room I was temporarily in. I had to explain to another clerk my situation. Took matters in my own hand and told them I wanted a luggage cart and that I would move my luggage to my new room and leave the key in the room. I guess they figured I was serious and I finally got checked into my room.

The place is quite spread out and unless your very familiar with the layout you can end up walking a great distance to your room. Be prepared to do some extra walking until you figure it out. It is centrally located to every major attraction in the local area. Parking is kind of expensive at $17. The facility makes a big production how green and energy efficient they are; however no secure bike facilities are available. You can lock your bike outside on parking racks but that’s inviting thieves.

Booked my room directly and received the lowest rate possible.

Somehow staff during this visit was definitely less than 2 stars on this occasion. My previous trip a year earlier, staffs were extremely helpful and cheerful. Must have been something in the water.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank edinstk
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 27, 2011

From the staff, room service and amenities... this is the best hotel in Monterey!

Nor Cal
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Trip was fun from start to end. Front desk on down were very professional. I enjoyed the bar and Fireplace. Would go again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable. The hotel is right near Fisherman's Wharf and within walking distance of everything in downtown Monterey. My room did not have a water view, but I believe some rooms do. The hotel restaurant/bar was a bit overpriced and the food was not so great. The hotel could use some updating as some of the facilities (elevators, bathrooms, etc.) seemed a bit outdated.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Northern California
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife, son and I have stressful careers and all agreed we needed a break right before the
holiday onslaught. We discovered the Portola Hotel through Hotwire and we were glad it turned out as perfectly as it did. From the professional front-desk staff to the clean and spacious rooms, we couldn't have asked for more. We were surprised how quiet the location was on the weekend, far from the hub-bub of Cannery Row. Great restaurant and brewpub on the premises, and in walking distance to great shops and cafes. Try the Portola. It is the ultimate
getaway.