“Crowded but great bangers and mash!”
Review of Crown & Anchor

Crown & Anchor
Ranked #24 of 308 Restaurants in Monterey
Good for: Bar scene
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have my son hooked on bangers and mash so when we were recently in Monterey I looked for a decent pub that might have them. Crown & Anchor fit the bill perfectly. The food was great, delivered quickly and was reasonably priced. The decor was very different and even if it is not true pub-decor, it lent a great atmosphere to the dining experience. The only downside was how crowded the place was even for an early dinner around 6pm mid-week and parking (downtown Monterey). As a side note, I also forgot my ATM card while here. Not a problem -- called the next day and they had it waiting for me.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

As a Brit this made me laugh on how bad the stereo type view of our pubs however I guess you can' t fake a good 500 year old drinking establishment and trust most of it was not taking it self seriously and having a laugh. Beers where all keg with no real ale hand pulled / gravity fed which makes as big a difference as fresh bread verses plastic wrapped supermarket bread but I had a nice IPA from the USA. Food was good at a reasonable price and staff were very friendly and efficient. Shame they do not serve British imperial pints!

Atmosphere at lunchtime was lacking as not busy but the first place I had tried to go to, a craft beer pub, did not even open at lunch time in the week so probably does not reflect on the venue

Reviewed July 14, 2014

As authentic a pub as you are likely to find on this side of the pond. Decent, reasonably-priced, pub food. I've never been disappointed. Adjacent to the Osio cinema-plex.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just happened on to Crown & Anchor by chance and it was a pleasant surprise. I'm usually not fond of Irish or British "Pubs" as they are usually too new (not authentic) and the food is usually below average. But not Crown & Anchor - very authentic, older feeling decor and the food was a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Nautical history buffs will enjoy the décor. In addition to steaks and sandwiches, you'll find pot pies and corned beef with cabbage on the menu. I've never been to England, but I can easily imagine a place just like this exists somewhere in Liverpool.