“Fabulous Service and Great Food”

Whaling Station Steakhouse
Reserve a Table
Thu, 6/27
8:00 PM
Ranked #11 of 327 Restaurants in Monterey
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The internationally acclaimed Whaling Station, perched just above Steinbeck’s Cannery Row has been Monterey County’s #1 Steak House for over 40 years, The Whaling Station takes the term “Steak House” seriously... See the restaurant’s dry-aging room, select your USDA Prime cut of dry-aged beef from a silver tray, your Prime, Prime Rib from the antique 1930’s silver carving trolley, and enjoy your Caesar Salad being tossed tableside. An award winning wine list and full spirits bar complement your dining experience. Serving Dinner and cocktails from 5pm daily. THE BAR at The Whaling Station has its own menu and its own local following, with drink specials and lively conversation served nightly. Parking in our private lot. A private banquet room is available.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Six of us to dinner and couldn’t have been better. I give very few five “blobs” but this is one.

Not cheap, but the steaks were delicious. I had the Beef Wellington and it was served hot, the beef perfectly medium (although they promised medium rare) with the meat being slightly pink and not rare at all, and best of all, the pastry was crisp. My only disappointment was the pate was from mushrooms rather than the foie gras (no doubt due to PC concerns).

Everyone on our table was happy with their choice.

Service was superb. The waiter was attentive and efficient.

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 22, 2019 via mobile

This is may be the best meal on this vacation. I had scallops, and my husband had a Ribeye. We was both very satisfied. So satisfied that we consider to have our last dinner in Monterey also at this restaurant.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 19, 2019

I have been here before, always top notch. I was alone so I sat at the bar. Was greeted by Kaitlyn the bartender and she was FANTASTIC! Great service, attitude and personality. Very friendly staff working with her and all professional. My drink was great and food was served hot and very tasty. I will be back in a couple of months for more. The ownership should be very proud of this crew. Don't even think about NOT going here.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 17, 2019

This is always a go to for a great dining experience. High quality food and excellent service. This is an institution, and deserves the great reputation

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

Extremely disappointed! Went here a year ago and the food was good. It’s very expensive. Approximately $100 per person. Not sure what has changed perhaps new management, but when paying high prices I expect the food to be off the charts. We ordered the cowboy steak, rack of lamb(horrible, Grey looking, tiny chops) and filet. The plates were not appealing at all a glob of undercooked spinach, with some mush of potatoes. Calamari greasy and tough too. The only good thing was the service. Never going back. Save your money for another place!

Date of visit: April 2019