“Good Food”

Old Fisherman's Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Fisherman's Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 299 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Scott Street
Description: Located on historic Fisherman's Wharf with stunning views of the Monterey Harbor, Old Fisherman's Grotto is a "must visit" restaurant. The "Grotto" has rightfully earned its worldwide reputation for only the finest cuisine in a superb atmosphere and service. Featuring fresh seafood from sustainable sources including Macadamia Crusted Halibut, Hawaiian Swordfish, Ultimate Seafood Pasta, live Crab and Lobster, the Grotto also offers a variety of the finest "Certified Angus Beef". Start with our award-winning clam chowder and finish by indulging in one of our fresh house-made desserts. Enjoy a bottle of wine from our 2014, 2015 Wine Spectator Award Wine list with over 200 selections specializing in local vineyards. AAA 3 Diamond Rating, Monterey Peninsula Chamber "Business Excellence" Award Winner. 2010 1St Place "West Coast Chowder Competition", "Best Chowder" Monterey County for 12 consecutive years , Winner "Best Calamari" three consecutive years in the Monterey County's Weekly Magazine "People's Choice Award". No high chairs. No strollers. No booster chairs. Children crying or making loud noises are a distraction to other diners and as such not permitted in the dining room.
Redding, California
“Good Food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a great dinner here, the food was presented nicely & was very good. The coffee could have been a little warmer. Service was great!

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Decatur, Illinois
“Touristy Good”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

As we walked down Fisherman's Wharf we had several "hawkers" tell us about their dinner specials. This one seemed like the best deal because it had free appetizers and 25% off of bottles of wine.

The portions here are very generous....we couldn't finish ours and the atmosphere is dark and "wharfy". And, our server was great.

I call this "touristy good" because it was just us tourists here eating the food. It was a lot of food, but wasn't what locals would have...at least not in my opinion. All our food was good, our service was good, and the price was reasonably good.

• Visited March 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Always A Special Experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Fisherman's Grotto is a well-known and valued restaurant on the Monterey wharf. If you haven't managed to get there yet, you owe it to yourself to make it a priority on your next visit.

• Visited December 2012
Antioch, California
“A Special Experience”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have never had better clam chowder in my life. I could have lived off of it. I wish I had a broader vocabulary so I could praise it appropriately. Creamy, buttery, rich - but not too rich... just... ah. Perfect. Perfect. I wanted to dip the yummy bread in it, but I just couldn't justify changing the flavor of the soup in any way.

Our service was great. As mentioned, they tend to give out free appetizer coupons for any reason, and getting an $11 plate for free is a good deal. Our Calamari was cooked properly and was tasty.

My fiance ordered the Macadamian Halibut with Coconut Prawns - the first bite of Halibut just melted in my mouth. The maple sauce wasn't overly sweet, but was a great complement to the sweet potatoes and fish.

I had the pesto-parmesan salmon, and the pesto tasted a lot like a spread I make for bread - which is to say, good! The carmelized onion risotto was also tasty.

To top it all off, they brought us out a free piece of cheesecake. I find most cheesecakes I order at restaurants too sweet, but this was just right! They gave it to us because it was the last night of our honeymoon, which was so sweet. They bring all the girls carnations, but they even gave me a rose.

The restaurant staff went far out of their way to make us feel special, and they were attentive, friendly, and fast the entire time. I had a tear in my eye when I left because it just felt so right.

As others have suggested, this could probably count as a $$$ restaurant, but with the free appetizer and the best clam chowder in the world, it is definitely worth it. The atmosphere is touristy, but still very romantic. The indoor decor is really beautiful. I am definitely going to this restaurant again when I'm in Monterey.

• Visited February 2013
Fresno, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must try!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This place is so yummy. Their clam chowder is delicious & I love their creme brulee'. You can't go wrong when dining here. A little pricey but well worth it>

Visited February 2013