“COMPLAINTS!? NO WAY.”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Izmir, Turkey
“COMPLAINTS!? NO WAY.”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Like most I do a little touristic/local research prior to visiting my destination(s), or in this case, new home. After several weeks of hacking away at the TA top 10 list for Monterey I finally made it the number one spot. After buzzing the tower a few times I found what I believed to be parking, though I am learning the parking methodology here is “get in where you fit in”. This place is small and quaint and can be missed if you blink through the intersection, though probably not a good idea.

Upon entering you will notice this business savvy owner’s target, and rightly so. Located about a block from the DLI, Compagno’s has been serving up hardcore sandwiches to hungry soldiers for years. The dated military hats, shirts and awards seems to only sprinkle more character on this gem. But come one, we aren’t here for the atmosphere (so quit your whining), we are here for what I can only refer to as the Atomic Fat Man and Little Boy of sandwiches.

The menu doesn’t disappoint and the additional sides only completes the meal. My recommendation, review the menu BEFORE you go, as things move quick and if you’re not ready, I assure the guy behind you is. Once you receive your sandwich grab a beer in the back, sit and enjoy or go on a picnic with your treasures! A side note here, the scuttlebutt about the sandwich sizes are true and one can be split between two.

At the checkout you will likely meet Bennett, who I can only assume is the craftsman behind this belly-busting establishment. He’s a talker and yes quite inquisitive, so engage in conversation, you are at HIS sandwich shop.

All-in-all, I can say this sandwich is/was (expletive) and please don’t complain about the cost, $10 is cheap for two meals in these parts.

Bennett I salute you my man, well done. Here’s to you keeping the bellies of our soldiers full, your patrons belts busting at the seams and your loyal repeats completely satisfied.

And Bennett, thank you – Chuck.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank csam48

Santa Barbara, California
“What a sandwich!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went with a friend from Monterey who has raved about the sandwiches and staff.
It didn't disappoint. Funky place with rich military roots, really busy at lunchtime. Amazing sandwiches!
And the proprietor (?) introduces himself to everyone and then you see the regular clientele walk in and be recognized by name! How rare is that?

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Daniel M
Monterey, California
“Call in your order!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This sandwich shop is so popular you should call your order in so you do not have to wait. However if you must wait there are lots of interesting deli products to examine while you wait. The cakes look divine! Have not tasted them yet because the sandwiches are so huge.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank kathanselmann
Cologne, Germany
“Nicest guy we ever met”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Through Tripadvisor, we were looking for a good sandwich place for the small hunger.... What we got (freshly made humungous sandwiches) exeeded all our expectations. The owner greeted us with a handshake and was so kind, that we felt like family. After our trip to the Aquarium, we returned there to get another sandwich for the road... This time...even bigger sandwiches plus the owner spoiled my gf with a huge piece of chocolate cake. Before leaving for SF he recommended two awesome places for meatlovers (like me), of which we reserved a table for the next day evening (House of Primerib). Goooooood idea!!! He even gave me bis cellphone number and wanted me to give him a call, to check if we arrived in SF savely.

Bennett: You made our day!!! Thanks for everything. You'll know what we mean.

Daniel & Nikki (Germany)

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Daniel M
Eagan, Minnesota
“Awesome picnic lunch!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We picked up 2 sandwiches for 3 of us - based on other TA reviews - and that was plenty! They're generous servings. We had 1 veggie and 1 cheese and avocado - both were great. We also picked up drinks and chips. Headed to Asilomar for a picnic. Worked perfectly. Based on reviews, we also got a slice of peanut butter chocolate cake for later. Had it with supper. 1 piece fed 3 of us and we had plenty. Delicious!!

Would definitely stop again to grab a picnic lunch or a to-go treat. Probably wouldn't eat there, not much atmosphere. Service was a little gruff, but fine.

1 Thank MickDidi