“Great Sandwiches”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on our way to the 17 mile drive. It's a small hidden gem of a sandwich shop. Many locals stopping in to get food too. The sandwiches were huge and were great. This place is a true deli and had great looking cakes but I didn't try them, the sandwiches were enough. This place is a must if you like classic deli.

There are newer reviews for Compagno's Market & Deli

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is real trip down nostalgia lane for me, as I first started coming here 50 years ago, when the current owners father, Buster Compagno, was the proprietor. I was just a youngster and he and his crew, I remember Mercedes in particular, were like family to everyone on Huckleberry Hill, i.e. from Forest Ave. down to Pine Street and David Ave. to Hoffman, including the Presidio.

Buster made absolutely the best Italian sausage that has ever been made commercially, in small batches and from the best products. Later, when he started making sandwiches as well, we still craved after the sausage. So going there again recently, and having a great hoagie sandwich was a real treat. I could only manage to eat half though.

Monterey is very fortunate to have this great place and by now a real institution. There are not many places like this anymore, and I applaud Buster's family for keeping up the tradition.

Bravo a tutti!

2  Thank RJCardinalli
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The menu is huge, and the sandwiches are great! They, too, are huge! Get a half if you are by yourself, although, you could take it home and save some for later. The peanut butter chocolate cake is to die for-I can't stop in without picking some up!

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Long sandwich menu and huge selection of bottled drinks. The sandwiches are huge- I was glad I ordered a half!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was our favorite place for food in Monterey. Because we couldn't agree on the same sandwich, my husband and I each ordered our own. They were huge!!! No way either of us could finish them. Same for the chocolate PB cake we ordered to take back for later. The owner was so good to us and others who came into the shop. Super nice guy. Easy to understand all the raving reviews. Hope to get back this way some day and will definitely be our first place to stop.