“Great hole-in-the-wall / neighborhood deli”

Compagno's Market & Deli
Ranked #13 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great hole-in-the-wall / neighborhood deli”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is your basic neighborhood deli, but make no mistake, the food and the owner are great. The sandwiches are fantastic and piled so high full of great fresh ingredients, they can feed two people easily. Try some of the home made deli items in the case as well, we had the peppers stuffed with prosciutto and they were fantastic. Definitely talk with the owner, Bennett. Great guy. We were visiting from out of town and had already done the typical fair of aquarium, 17-mi drive, etc. He suggested the local farmer's market and my family and I had a blast. Great guy, great deli, and even better food. Bravo.

Monterey Bay
“Compagnos is quality grab n go deli”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It's a hole in the wall and dark....but make your way in to an amazing deli with high quality sandwiches; a ton of variety and large enough to feed a amity of three!

Minnesota
“Huge sandwich, feeds two people, great dive”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

First of all, meet Bennett the owner. Charming, story telling, interested in you, funny. He makes the experience. Banter with him for a few minutes. Sandwich was great. We asked what the most popular sandwiches were and chose one of those. My wife and I split one for $10 and they made each half to our order. We actually took them for a sunset picnic later that might in San Simeon. Fresh and made to your liking. The place looks beat down but don't let that fool you. The bathroom was just off the staff room in the far back corner and that was interesting. We also got a piece of cake that was delicious, or should I say half a cake it was that big. Great experience to remember.

Missouri
“You must experience it!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is not even dining. You are going in to buy a sandwich so don't make anymore of it then that. When you get in there you will see some of the salads and the cakes and you will want more than just a sandwich. If you engage the owner you will leave feeling great about this place. Very military friendly. We got a sandwich, broccoli salad, and a piece of chocolate and peanut butter cake. It was all great and we ate it along Pacific 1 highway at an overlook. Great guy that runs this place. Great stop on our 30th anniversary trip!

Visited September 2013
Sacramento, CA
“Not good... at all.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I guess I'm just not so sure what all the fuss is about. The only thing of note about the sandwiches was their size. The ingredients were unimpressive and not high quality, I got waaaay too much mayo after asking for very light, every bag of chips I looked at were within a month of their expiration date, and considering the quality of the sandwich it was extremely over priced. Additionally the owner, while I'm sure sweet, came off as strange and made unnecessary comments to each female patron which my fiance didn't particularly appreciate. It was honestly a really disappointing experience given the rave reviews. I definitely wouldn't go back or recommend it.