“Great food, great wine list, great ambiance, good service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montrio Bistro

Montrio Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Montrio Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin
Transit: Monterey Airbus and local Bus Transit near Montrio Bistro
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great food, great wine list, great ambiance, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Best meal in Monterey-went back for our last night we enjoyed it so much and it was even better the next time. It is really underpriced for the quality of food (not complaining!)-- I'd be happy to pay more. Sunday night there is half-price on wine bottles as well.

Service the first time was only ok, but the rest of the experience was good enough to overlook. Second time the service was night-and-day better. The small bites and appetizer menu is extensive but my favorite were the truffle tater tots (whipped potato filling) with a crispy exterior and the best citrusy aioli for dipping. The portobello ravioli with short rib was honestly outstanding. The king salmon was also very good. We also recommend the sticky toffee pudding for a satisfying sweet dessert experience ( or the semifreddo if you prefer refreshing desserts).

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Cocktail mecca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is THE place in Monterey for cocktail geeks. Their bartenders are serious! All freshly made ingredients, superior liquors, and carefully crafted drinks. We went on a Sunday night when the head mixologist wasn't there, but his coworker Jennifer left nothing to be desired. She was fabulous! My favorite drink was called Big Bang Theory, a bourbon cocktail. I enjoyed the drinks so much that I can't tell you much about the food, although it's a very well regarded restaurant. We had loads of fun with a young couple sitting next to us, trying half the drinks on the (not terribly long) featured cocktail list.

Visited June 2014
“Bartender was fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stopped by for dinner with my fiancé and decided to stay at the bar because Jenn was very welcoming and knowledgeable! What a great asset! Can't wait to visit the Monterey area again soon!

• Visited June 2014
Citrus Heights, California
“Great food, convenient walking distance from hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Montrio can be noisy but somehow that adds to its attraction. Food is good, service is very good, and drink prices are reasonable. Convenient walking distance to Monterey Conference Center

Visited May 2014
“Surly Server ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I am a local and have been in the hospitality business for 30 years. We came to Montrio for my sisters birthday, we choose Montrio because of it's wonderful reputation. My niece and I were early and greeted by Jennifer, she suggested two glasses of red wine, which were wonderful!!! She also suggested the spicy fries, which were amazing!! When the rest of our family arrived we were taken to a table, that's when our dining experience changed :-(

The server came to the table, he didn't tell us his name, he ran down the specials so fast that we had to ask him several questions about the specials again, and again, because he answered our questions so quickly we couldn't understand him.

We ordered our dinner, my brother in law ordered a martini, I ordered a glass of wine. We asked three times about our cocktails, my wine finally came after 20 minutes, but no martini? A manager came by and asked us how things were going, I was trying not to make a fuss, but I did get up and let the manager know that we had waited half an hour for the martini, we were half way through our dinner before he got it.

My sister is a vegetarian, and her salad came out with bacon on top, no fault of the restaurant, but I couldn't get the attention of our server, so I asked another server if he could help us, I told him my sister was a vegetarian, he was really sweet and took the salad back, but all they did was try to scrape the bacon off, there were still pieces of bacon in the salad. I took the salad to Jennifer, because she was so fabulous, and the server brought a new salad, and scolded my sister for not letting him know she was a vegetarian. A guest shouldn't have to apologize to a server, especially when it's her birthday.

The food was wonderful, there was a busser, I can't remember his name but he made sure my sister got a birthday desert, and he was kind and attentive, I wish he would have been our server ;-)

When you go out for a special dinner with your family, and your spending almost a hundred dollars per person, it's really disappointing to have a rude, unfriendly, surly server.

Jennifer, the busser, and the manager helped to make it a special evening. Thanks to them we left happy. They also have really lovely hostesses! We will go back, but we will ask for another server if we happen to get the surly server again.