“Outstanding Menu and Service”
Review of Montrio Bistro

Montrio Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Montrio Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 308 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, French, Italian, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin
Transit: Monterey Airbus and local Bus Transit near Montrio Bistro
Reviewed July 6, 2013

A converted firehouse with outstanding ambience! My wife and I both had the bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp with "pickled slaw". What an wonderful combination of flavors. Then she had the roasted chicken with brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes. She enjoyed this to the max. I had braised short ribs that were divine. The mashed potatoes were the best I have had cobined with peas and sun dried tomatoes.

Ryan provided excellent service along with the other staff. Great service, beautiful ambience and outstanding food make for a great evening!

2  Thank TWB2006SSR
kathy s, General Manager at Montrio Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

What a lovely review...thanks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews here and so were a bit worried about service, etc. No issues! I definitely would recommend doing an Open Table reservation since this is a popular place.

My husband and I usually share courses unless we are doing chef's tasting menus (eg, French Laundry, etc). There were a number of inventive cocktails to try, and we ordered the bacon wrapped shrimp to start. The appetizer is two perfectly grilled tiger prawns wrapped in crispy bacon, on a ” pickled slaw” which was very tasty. We commented how unusual it is to get prawns or shrimp that aren't grilled to death. These were still very succulent, under their crispy bacon wrap.

Next was the mussels appetizer. Very inventive too! It was what we would call a Thai preparation.....coconut milk, lemongrass, kaffir lime....so the juice of the mussels was like a Thai soup in the shell!

Next a lovely salad with a duck egg, lardons, etc.....then the short ribs.

Thank goodness we split the order....half was enough as it wad super rich. We replaced the mashed potatoes with the Brussels sprouts, which were very good. Not enough room for dessert!

Our server was great. When he realized I was having sparkling water instead of wine like my husband, he brought me a whole pitcher (free).

I would definitely return here.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place came highly recommended. We started with a couple of glasses of wine and then ordered dinner. Our wine was gone long before dinner came and was never filled again. We had to flag down someone even to get a refill of water. The sad thing is, we would have ordered another couple of rounds if the service was better. On a bright note, the food was excellent.

Well there's no excuse to have anyone sitting with an empty glass in front of them. Please except my apologies. Hopefully this will not deter you from coming to visit us again.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Loved the food and energy at Montrio Bistro. Busy and eclectic. Wine selections made by our server were superb. Had a large group of seven and service was slow and forgettable, but the food quality was great.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were exhausted, had been locked out of our car, and dying for a good meal--and a glass of wine. Our reservation was honored--but the table wasn't ready. Guess what? The hostess gave each of us a glass of wine to make up for the wait. Hello Montrio Bistro, I think I'm in love!