“Great little place!”

Alvarado Fish and Steak House
Ranked #165 of 304 Restaurants in Monterey
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alvarado Fish and Steak House is conveniently located in the center of downtown Monterey. It is family-owned and ran by John DiGirolamo Sr. and Jr., whose old family photos and history you can see and enjoy throughout the restaurant. The importance of family history is further highlighted as they fuse their Italian and Japanese decent to create outstanding lunch and dinner plates for the menu as well as for the daily specials. Alvarado Fish and Steak House provides the perfect atmosphere for all occasions; whether you are there for an intimate dinner for two, or a casual meal with the whole family, the Fish and Steak House is a great spot to be.
Richmond, Virginia
“Great little place!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This little restaurant is a gem! The service is just impeccable. The staff is friendly and so accommodating. I think they would have prepared anything they had in any way we could have wanted it.

1 Thank P C

Baltimore
“Delicious Local Restaurant with excellent service!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

While on vacation I visited Alvarado Fish and Steak House based on my hotels recommendation for fresh fish. I was traveling by myself and could not say enough about this place! The waiter (ended up being the owner John) went out of his way to make recommendations. After sharing that I wanted a local fish/seafood, John had the chef make me a dish combining the Calamari Eggplant (made with the local squid) and Sandaba (local fish). The dish included both a veggies and pasta (for only $19!) Everything was delicious - especially the calamari eggplant!!!!!! The local squid was so tender and amazing. I cannot recommend this dish enough! The local fish was also good, but Wow to calamari eggplant!. While I waited, John bought me a half a cup of the soup of the day because the dish was taking taking a little long (because John had it specially made). Also, he recommended a good beer with dinner. The other local patrons also very nice and where only saying good things about their dishes. This place has a good, family, local owned restaurant that I would highly recommend!

2 Thank JoSBaltimore
Bakersfield, California
“Delicious food, outstanding service, options galore!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

You could walk right past this restaurant on Alvarado Street and miss it, but you would have missed some incredible sea food. We were delighted immediately by the attentiveness and genuine enthusiam of our waiter, Jared. After he shared the (multiple) specials and options, we finally settled on a couple of dishes and were very happy with our selections. The food was fresh and well-seasoned, and it was prepared very quickly. Prices were reasonable and the house wine was good. The whole dining experience was pleasant, and I wish I lived near Monterey in order to have an opportunity to dine at the Alvarado Fish and Steak House more often. The ambience is not fancy--but the quality of the food was as good as any first-rate restaurant. I had the Parmesan Calamari and Eggplant, and my companion had the Sole (prepared with a lightly breaded honey-almond crust--remarkable). We didn't have any steak, but I would imagine it would match the seafood in its quality. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

San Rafael, California
“Big things come in small packages”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

When we arrived there were only a few people so we did not know what to expect. We were greeted with very friendly staff, very helpful in the selection of both food and wine. All of a sudden the place was full sure happy we arrived at 7:00. There were 4 of us, we all though ours was the best, it all was the best. Talked to some local people who go there all the time and told us it is a family owned place and the best place in town. Good food ~ good wine ~ excellent service just a perfect evening for our stay in Monterey.

Visited January 2013
Los Gatos, CA
“excellent seafood”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had fresh local petrale sole, which was delicious. The portion was large and the price was reasonable ($20.00). It was accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables. We also enjoyed the dinner salad and creme brulee. Everything tasted like it was fresh and had been made from scratch. The owners were helpful and friendly. The service was on the slow side, but they made up for that by bringing us some clam chowder, which we loved. We plan to return.

• Visited January 2013