“Great place to celebrate a birthday, or just go and eat/drink”
Review of Sand Bar & Grill

Sand Bar & Grill
Ranked #55 of 306 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sand Bar is located on the wharf, with parking on wharf. Looks like it has been around for many years.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Having lived in Monterey County all my life, it was sad to admit when I met the owner of the Sandbar that I had never eaten at his establishment. I decided to correct that and went with my family for my birthday. Cocktails, appetizers, a meal and dessert. Yes, we were all stuffed but wow, the food was amazing and the restaurant is practically right on the water. Try the prawns stuffed with crab for a serious seafood treat! Being near Christmas, many of the boats in the harbor were decorated with lights making the scene even prettier. We will be going back for lunch soon so we can enjoy the view of the ocean and see the otters and sea lions while enjoying our food. Definitely worth a stop if you visit Monterey.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've gone to lunch here several times while vacationing in the area. The food has been excellent & the service friendly each time. It would be difficult to find a dining venue with more close to the water ambience. Can highly recommend both the fried shrimp platter & seafood pasta. Great homemade tasting tarter sauce. Always seems to our first stop when on the Monterey peninsula.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited this restaurant on a Friday night and it was packed! Luckily, we had reservations and were seated immediately. I ordered a Crab Louis for $19 and expected a large salad, but was given what seemed more like the size of a dinner salad with crab on the top. Not what I was expecting for the price. The others that I was with were all happy with their food. Desserts were yummy....crème brulee and apple crisp. I sat by the window and there was cool air seeping in at the bottom of it. Not great, but not a bad spot either.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My friend who is local took me to this restaurant. The restaurant is located on the front half of the old town wharf. The service was excellent. There wine selection was fantastic. I had the shrimp with crab cakes stuffing on top. We tried the oysters on the half shell which were very fresh. The restaurant has some great wine selections which are not that expensive. This is a great stop when visiting Monterey. Try the chowder! Excellent.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Walked along the wharf and saw this restaurant which you had to go down stairs to enter. Small place, but delightful. Just went for a couple of drinks and appetizers. We had clams on the half shell and calamari. Both were delicious. Had a window seat which made it very nice. Good service as well.