“Monterey holiday trip”

Ranked #9 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
California City, California
“Monterey holiday trip”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for only night and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations as have wanting to try and stay here for many years. I was put in a far back room on the ground floor. The room was a little on the older side but I was ok with it and it really was clean with what there was to work with as far décor goes. The best part of the room the fireplace that kept the room at a nice temperature all night. The worst occurred though around 5:30 am when I was awoken by an argument next door by the 'tenants'. I asked the manager about who was staying in that room and he just said "they would not do that". To make sure I was not dreaming I preceded to ask the folks themselves and they ofcourse they were a little defensive and I knew that it was just better to let it go instead of having another fight start so I just checked out in a couple of hours. There is no breakfast here.

If it was not for beautiful Monterey I never would have stayed here and I am sure will never again especially for the price that they charge. Save your money and just go to another hotel down the street a bit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed July 5, 2013

There are many places to stay in Monterey but I doubt whether you would get a more hospitable host elsewhere.
If you are an Indian ( Gujrati- even better), then don't blink an eye and go stay here. Mr.Joshi, the manager is a gentleman and will certainly make you feel at home, particularly if you are a family with small kids. We truly had a great time and for us, Del Monte Pines is now like a home away from home. Thank You Mr. Joshi .. Take a bow !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Out of all the hotels we stayed in during our US road trip, this was the only one that we didn't like. Although in a great location (near the outdoor mall!), there wasn't really anything else we did like about it. It was tatty, run down, in need of updating, the bath towels were extremely scratchy and hard and the TV didn't work at all...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank buffalou73

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family and I stayed here the weekend first week of June 2013. I'll start with the bad:
The gentlman behind the counter that mostly everyone leaves negative comments, indeed are geniunely TRUE. However I always try to empathize with people so I'd have to assume that perhaps there is a cultural boundary that makes him oblivious to customer service and etiquette. I've traveled a lot...Russia for example. Many stores, markets, restaurants, etc.the attitude was very straight forward with no casual greetings, salutations, smiles, nothing...But they were not trying to be mean or rude. It was just something some of them weren't use to.
Eventually once you see them enough and talk to them, they open up.
Like the Del Monte Pines man...I read the reviews before booking and decided to roll the dice.
Our first encounter was strange...The lobby smelled like curry (which I love to eat) and as he walks out of a side room I took that opportunity to share my taste for curry. He opened up immediately but then shut himself out and went back to business. That was pretty much it....very straight forward, no "Enjoy your stay, or let us know if you need anything." Ok, no biggie. From there on out, we casually run into eachother but he would have his head down which I asume to avoid conversation. I'm ok with that I guess. At one point I called for extra towels and I was advised him to go to the downstairs to the laundry room....uh hello, what happened to room service? Whatever, I'm cool going out for a stroll.
Anyhow, as for the room...Here's where I drop the rating to two stars. I truly felt the comforter was about as soiled as the carpet. Definitely didn't get the "So fresh & so clean feeling." We pretty much wore our shoes in our room the whole time and letting my two year old play/sit on the carpet was out of the question. Parking was good. Wifi was terrible. Location was pretty cool. Walking distance to the mall (litterally across the street). Vietnamese food a block away, many restuarants to choose from....yeah so pretty much, we stayed a little as possible in our room. Thankfully Monterey has so much to keep your mind busy and entertained, not having a second thought about that lurking comforter slithering off your bed and doing the nasty with the carpet....

Room Tip: Try to be open minded and think about all the money you're saving but just bring plenty of antib...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed here in the past and it was adequate for the price. I was given a room where nothing worked, no remote or working phone. The guy at the front desk was very unfriendly and did not want to give me another room. I ended up with a room with a mattress that could have been a marble slab. The water pipes banged in the walls all night and we got very little sleep. There are quite a few hotels in this price range and I will never come back here.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Chris0999
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was last minute decision to spend a night in Monterey. We found super cheap rate of $45 per night at Del Monte Pines. It was easy to find, right across from Del Monte Shopping Center. We got room on the first floor and the room was clean and didn't have that "old" smell :) that you usually get in old hotels... Room had a fireplace, new microwave, refrigerator.
I mean for $45 I didn't expect excellent condition.. For us was important to have clean room and good shower, we got it both!

Overall we had great experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank In-Love-SF
Canby, Oregon
Reviewed January 24, 2013

When we pulled up to the hotel we kind of started having second thoughts, but for such a cheap price we figured it would be okay.
The check-in gentleman was very polite, answered all our questions without hesitation, gave us our key to the room and off we went. Once we came to our room we were amazed. It wasn't modern looking but very very nice king size bed with fireplace and a remodeled bathroom. There was absolutely no smell in the room (a big plus for me). The only problem I had was next door kids would not go to sleep until after midnight. But that can happen anywhere.
Next time if I'm in the area I am definetely staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business