“I think the dog enjoyed it”

Crab Louie's Bistro
Ranked #111 of 301 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: crab louie bistro is located on the wharf in beautiful Monterey harbor ofering spectacular views of the sealions and from all window tables. We are open every day - for breakfast,lunch and dinner Our guests may enjoy the view of sea otters,sealions and pelicans. Enjoy breakfast or lunch ,or have a romantic candlelight dinner while the sun is setting over Monterey bay.
Phoenix, Arizona
“I think the dog enjoyed it”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Once we decided to go inside, I think we immediately wanted to turn around. The restaurant was small and dumpy with just a few tables and one shared (and smelly) restroom. After we ordered our meals, another couple and their small dog were seated two tables away. This was not a service dog (it was wearing just a plain collar), so I was surprised to see it allowed inside the restaurant.
The dog barked and growled at us when we passed to use the disgusting bathroom. My husband (who is allergic to dogs) started coughing. Once we had our meals, we had the pleasure of eating them while we watched this dog sit in a chair at the other table and eat off the plate in front of him! Ugh! I like dogs, but I don't want to watch them eat accross from me while my husband coughs. I think when you pay $17 for a sub-par salad, it's not too much to ask that non-service dogs stay outside -- or at least don't eat their meals seated accross from you.
If you only care about the view, this is your place. If you want good food in a clean restaurant, look elsewhere.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank LynSR27

Townsville
“Pleasant staff and nice view of the seals”
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The sample of clam chowder out the front was quite tasty, I didn't find the staff too pushy to come eat just friendly. I liked the view watching the seals and pelicans while you eat. I never felt rushed to leave. Sure the menu could use a little overhaul but I didn't think it was that bad overall.

San Jose, California
“Be sure to keep on walking ...”
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

As we walked down the pier, we tasted a number of the 'offered' clam chowders and found the one at Crab Louie's unusually good. So we went in to have lunch ... not many customers, unappealing decor, attentive staff (because no customers), "typical" menu for the wharf, but REALLY disappointing food. My wife ordered the sampler and everything was fried (YES FRIED where you can see the Commercial Wharf out their window where the fish is brought in). Most restaurants on the wharf offer FRESH calamari, shrimp and crab cakes. I had the calamari sandwich which was OK at best, but lacked creativity in its preparation. So, be sure to let your feet do the voting and keep on walking to another restaurant.

1 Thank HikingLee
Chino, California
“Nothing to see here”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife picked Crab Louie’s with a free calamari appetizer. The restaurant is small, not that it mattered because the place was empty on a Friday night at 7 p.m. This should have been my first clue to retreat.

The décor was old and tacky. I wasn’t sure if the plates were hipster 60’s or retro ugly. Never go the feel of a white table cloth establishment. More like what was on the clearance rack at Kmart.

The menu was quite limited with no specialties of note. Grilled, broiled or sautéed this fish or that. I had the scallops. They were just okay. The wife had the halibut, grandma the sampler plate. My daughter had the chicken nuggets. The week before we had gone to Red Lobster. Well all preferred that to Crab Louie’s.

Not saying it was connected, but he next day all four of us had a stomach virus or ???

Service was okay considering the barker was also the manager and the waiter. He managed to get the bill wrong, but quickly corrected it. I understand. He was busy trying to do three jobs and so few customers to service.

The only other selling point was for our daughter a window view of sleeping sea lions. I’d suggest putting on a light jacket and watch them in the elements. When finished, find a better restaurant than Crab Louie’s.

• Visited April 2012